New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Fresh meat from coastal NC

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
I Gotcha.
I've seen the black you're talking about and am surprised they'd abuse to that point. Pretty sad.

Next time I see one, I'll honk. I'm in an all black Tahoe PPV, retired state police vehicle.
The only thing I can figure is that they don't really know what they've got. The SS trucks are still holding their value and they could sill trade it for a better work truck.

I'll stay on the lookout for you and your Tahoe.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by One eyed Jack
The only thing I can figure is that they don't really know what they've got. The SS trucks are still holding their value and they could sill trade it for a better work truck.

I'll stay on the lookout for you and your Tahoe.
I agree, I don't think they now.

Same here, though I don't know what your beater is haha.

I was out your way, kinda, I was at Jarrot today and probably tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tig
I agree, I don't think they now.

Same here, though I don't know what your beater is haha.

I was out your way, kinda, I was at Jarrot today and probably tomorrow.
My beater is a light gold 2000 Siverado RWD. Tool box in the bed, short aluminum rails behind the tool box. Nothing remarkable about it, really.

are you working out at Jarrett Bay? The guy I used to work for, (At another boat shop), has been out there for the last 5 days and nights, (0 time off), trying to finish up a 90 footer that the owner is really pushing them for. I've heard that it's crazy out there on that boat. I can believe it. I worked out there for a little while and got caught up in the finish up end of one job. I wouldn't volunteer to do it again.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

My beater is a light gold 2000 Siverado RWD. Tool box in the bed, short aluminum rails behind the tool box. Nothing remarkable about it, really.

are you working out at Jarrett Bay? The guy I used to work for, (At another boat shop), has been out there for the last 5 days and nights, (0 time off), trying to finish up a 90 footer that the owner is really pushing them for. I've heard that it's crazy out there on that boat. I can believe it. I worked out there for a little while and got caught up in the finish up end of one job. I wouldn't volunteer to do it again.
Now that I know, I'll keep an eye for it. I wouldn't really consider it a beater, it certainly has potential

No, I was actually at Lightning across the way. I work at Shearline Boatworks in Morehead. We were repairing a tower (that we built) that fell over. They took it off the boat for shipping reasons and left it on stands over the weekend and the wind knocked it over.
Who did you work for?
I hear yeah, I wouldn't want to be caught up in that mess either. That's pretty much what we were doing at Lightning. This boat has been in the works for over a year. Then the weekend before shipping the tower falls. Oh and its going to Africa, haha. The owner has all kinds of demands how he wants it shipped to.
That area is pretty crazy, so many boat builders.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tig
Now that I know, I'll keep an eye for it. I wouldn't really consider it a beater, it certainly has potential

No, I was actually at Lightning across the way. I work at Shearline Boatworks in Morehead. We were repairing a tower (that we built) that fell over. They took it off the boat for shipping reasons and left it on stands over the weekend and the wind knocked it over.
Who did you work for?
I hear yeah, I wouldn't want to be caught up in that mess either. That's pretty much what we were doing at Lightning. This boat has been in the works for over a year. Then the weekend before shipping the tower falls. Oh and its going to Africa, haha. The owner has all kinds of demands how he wants it shipped to.
That area is pretty crazy, so many boat builders.
Yeah, I call it a beater when compared to the SS. It does have potential but her "potential" has kept me mighty busy since I bought it. (Lots of miles and lots of parts worn out. Some rust, too.)

I have a couple friends who have worked for Lightening, and know a few who have worked for Shearline, too.

I worked for Gary Davis for 8 years or so before he closed up his Sleepy Creek business and went out to Jarrett Bay.

Are you a welder? I hadn't paid much attention to your screen name till you mentioned working on a tower.

Agreed, Those boat owners can be a handful.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I call it a beater when compared to the SS. It does have potential but her "potential" has kept me mighty busy since I bought it. (Lots of miles and lots of parts worn out. Some rust, too.)

I have a couple friends who have worked for Lightening, and know a few who have worked for Shearline, too.

I worked for Gary Davis for 8 years or so before he closed up his Sleepy Creek business and went out to Jarrett Bay.

Are you a welder? I hadn't paid much attention to your screen name till you mentioned working on a tower.

Agreed, Those boat owners can be a handful.
Haha, I hear yah. I have a complete suspension waiting to be installed for my Tahoe. Its going on 212k miles and the front end is pretty sloppy. Figured might as well drop it while I'm redoing everything, so its getting a 4/6. I'm looking at getting a Fox body coupe for a daily, maybe swap duties so I don't have to put the miles on the Tahoe.

Nice, I don't know anyone at Lightning and the guys at Shearline are pretty cool.

I don't really know many people around here and honestly don't know much if anything about boats or anodized aluminum. I moved here in October of last year and found out Carolina Custom Towers needed some help in January so, I started with them part time building tanks. Finished up a 970 gallon a couple of weeks ago and am wrapping up 400 gallon tank tomorrow.

Yes, I am a weldor. I'm pretty much building all the tanks, misc, projects and motor mount/platforms. Not very familiar with there fabrication process for anodized and I cant say I have cotton fingers hahaha. He's giving me some small jobs to get me warmed up to there process.
I also do automotive fabrication when I can (hot/cold sides), anything aluminum, stainless or Ti. I'll be building my exhaust for the Tahoe soon after I do my suspension. When I'm under there I'll grab some measurements to order the material.

Seriously. We're building a 50 something footer, the owner is great a really nice, its his son whos a douche. Daddys money kinda *****.

This is the tank I should be wrapping up tomorrow.

Fresh meat from coastal NC-tank-2.jpg

Fresh meat from coastal NC-tank-3.jpg
Old 12-03-2017, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 402 Likes on 317 Posts

I like the tank design...
Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

I can't take credit for that. My boss is a wiz with that sh*t. Its a little over 400 gallons

I just finished this one. Its about 970 gallons. Almost 13' long a little over 2' wide. Fun project as they're all different and specific to each boat.

Fresh meat from coastal NC-tank-5-big-boy.jpg

Fresh meat from coastal NC-tank-4-big-boy.jpg
Old 12-04-2017, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tig
Haha, I hear yah. I have a complete suspension waiting to be installed for my Tahoe. Its going on 212k miles and the front end is pretty sloppy. Figured might as well drop it while I'm redoing everything, so its getting a 4/6. I'm looking at getting a Fox body coupe for a daily, maybe swap duties so I don't have to put the miles on the Tahoe.

Nice, I don't know anyone at Lightning and the guys at Shearline are pretty cool.

I don't really know many people around here and honestly don't know much if anything about boats or anodized aluminum. I moved here in October of last year and found out Carolina Custom Towers needed some help in January so, I started with them part time building tanks. Finished up a 970 gallon a couple of weeks ago and am wrapping up 400 gallon tank tomorrow.

Yes, I am a weldor. I'm pretty much building all the tanks, misc, projects and motor mount/platforms. Not very familiar with there fabrication process for anodized and I cant say I have cotton fingers hahaha. He's giving me some small jobs to get me warmed up to there process.
I also do automotive fabrication when I can (hot/cold sides), anything aluminum, stainless or Ti. I'll be building my exhaust for the Tahoe soon after I do my suspension. When I'm under there I'll grab some measurements to order the material.

Seriously. We're building a 50 something footer, the owner is great a really nice, its his son whos a douche. Daddys money kinda *****.

This is the tank I should be wrapping up tomorrow.

Attachment 150296

Attachment 150297
Lowering the "Hoe" 4/6 will definitely make it easier to spot. I'll keep my eye out for you.

I haven't been up to date on who all is working at Shearline, lately. Might know a few, might not. I don't know a whole lot of guys in the business.

Sounds like a great skill set you've got going on there. Once you get up to speed on the marine stuff, you shouldn't have any trouble staying busy around here. Boat building seems to have gotten past the recession and is doing pretty good here lately.
I would think that you could get some pick up jobs doing stainless exhaust if you want, too. There's a fair sized hot rod community around and if your name gets around guys will look you up.

I've seen that deal where the kid is a jerk while spending the old mans money. Most of the time they got nothing going on on there own, and wouldn't be anything without Dad's bucks. They seem to live to make other people as miserable as they are.

Nice looking tanks Tig. Reminds me of the days when we made our own in the Sleepy Creek shop. One things for sure; The sport fish crowd is always trying to out-do each other where power is concerned, and you can't have too much fuel on the boat.

I believe Gary told me that the new 90 footer that Jarrett Bay just finished is supposed to top out above fifty knots. She's got to be sucking down the fuel. I gotta ask him how big the fuel lines are on that rig.

I just checked out the builders site. "Twin 2600HP motors" and she carries 4,400 Gallons of fuel. That's an expensive fill up.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Lowering the "Hoe" 4/6 will definitely make it easier to spot. I'll keep my eye out for you.

I haven't been up to date on who all is working at Shearline, lately. Might know a few, might not. I don't know a whole lot of guys in the business.

Sounds like a great skill set you've got going on there. Once you get up to speed on the marine stuff, you shouldn't have any trouble staying busy around here. Boat building seems to have gotten past the recession and is doing pretty good here lately.
I would think that you could get some pick up jobs doing stainless exhaust if you want, too. There's a fair sized hot rod community around and if your name gets around guys will look you up.

I've seen that deal where the kid is a jerk while spending the old mans money. Most of the time they got nothing going on on there own, and wouldn't be anything without Dad's bucks. They seem to live to make other people as miserable as they are.

Nice looking tanks Tig. Reminds me of the days when we made our own in the Sleepy Creek shop. One things for sure; The sport fish crowd is always trying to out-do each other where power is concerned, and you can't have too much fuel on the boat.

I believe Gary told me that the new 90 footer that Jarrett Bay just finished is supposed to top out above fifty knots. She's got to be sucking down the fuel. I gotta ask him how big the fuel lines are on that rig.

I just checked out the builders site. "Twin 2600HP motors" and she carries 4,400 Gallons of fuel. That's an expensive fill up.
I'm hoping to drop the Hoe during the holidays. Something always comes up when I'm preparing to do it. I've had the parts for about 2 years haha. Lookin forward it though.

Not too familiar with the guys either, I stick in the fab shop for the most part.
I'm with you, don't know anyone in the business.

Thanks, though I prefer automotive over boats haha. I cant believe the amount of builders around here. We're slammed, I can just imagine about all the other builders to. Crazy.
I'm trying. I was even offering people free exhausts, just so I could document it from start to finish. I lost all of my previous work in an old computer when we moved. Since I was new to the area and nobody really knew me, people thought I was a wackadoo for offering it.

Aint that the truth. The boy was by yesterday and dad came by today. I think the boy complained about the hardtop, they were all gathering around it today.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. My boss really makes it easy for me haha.

It really is funny how competitive it is. The money involved is ridiculous.

90 footer, holy crap, 50 knots, good g-d. Suckin down gas is an understatement, wowza.

Twin 2600hp motors and 4400 gallons of fuel. Holy crap, I can just imagine the bill for filling up.
The following users liked this post:
Ogb101 (01-10-2018)