Member made Tools & Parts Classifieds Need permission to sell in this section...see section guidelines

Custom microcontrollers

Old 06-29-2019, 08:12 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Custom microcontrollers

I've been kicking around the idea of making small electronic components to enable or improve some features in OE controllers or act as standalone controllers entirely. I've made a number of them for my own stuff and have been pleased with the results. I have a custom controller in my 2009 Colorado that handles transforming signals to run an NP243 electronic shift transfer case in addition to controlling supercharger and turbo boost solenoids simultaneously.

The one pictured just below is one I sent to Vortec350ss that will allow him to use the flex fuel logic in his OE controller to provide additional fueling for a dry shot of nitrous. When wired into the flex fuel pin on the PCM and sending power to the nitrous solenoid, the device sends a signal telling the PCM that ethanol is present. At this point it will do as you calibrate it to in the flex fuel tables...add fuel, reduce spark. This provides a much cleaner and more versatile implementation of a nitrous tune without highjacking the IAT circuit and messing other things up. I can also expand on this to account for additional fuel present due to a meth injection system. I'm sure some have struggled with a progressive meth controller delivering excess methanol at high boost/low RPM.

This one is a custom AC controller I am putting in an early 70s C10 for a customer. Vintage air said they couldn't help with the setup since the drivetrain was so new, so I put this little guy together to manage the AC compressor and e-fans and provide AC with the factory dash controls.

If there is interest, post up below. And if there is enough interest in a particular controller, I can arrange to have PCBs professionally printed for cleaner installs; as of now, I solder and assemble everything myself. Feel free to add any additional ideas/requests you might have.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I like the idea. Cool
Old 06-29-2019, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

This is great!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Mod with training wheels

Put a little better hardware in the AC controller for more features. This is the finished product and mounted inside the secondary fuse/relay box.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Nice work
Old 01-01-2020, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

This is some pretty dope stuff. When I was in HS i wanted to study embedded systems and microprocessors and I did. But was convinced the big money for our area was in power distribution. Mostly because of the power plants we lived near. Still want to dabble with that stuff from time to time. Looks cool as hell.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is awesome. I have a 4wd question would you mind if I pm you?
Old 01-23-2020, 01:48 PM
Mod with training wheels

Originally Posted by 99ta
This is awesome. I have a 4wd question would you mind if I pm you?
Sure.

Overall there hasn't been much interest in this other than some local stuff and a data collection board I'm sending to Richard soon. I've had my eye on the e-turbos that are coming to market soon and I'll likely snag some of those for standalone controller r&d.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I’ll be interested if I cannot get the Holley EFI and OEM to play well together and keep A/C for my 99. Won’t be messing around with it til spring/summer though.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:39 AM
Mod with training wheels

Originally Posted by ALL ULL C
I’ll be interested if I cannot get the Holley EFI and OEM to play well together and keep A/C for my 99. Won’t be messing around with it til spring/summer though.
Maybe I should just print some boards out for AC control since I've already done that. From what I gathered, my controller was more refined than what vintage air had to offer because I shut the AC compressor off at full throttle. I also controlled the engine fans based on AC pressure, not just whether or not the AC was on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom microcontrollers