PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Member Feedback (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/member-feedback-153/)
-   -   1Bear is the Man! And others that helped on cam (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/member-feedback-153/1bear-man-others-helped-cam-469480/)

fastnblu 09-21-2010 10:48 AM

1Bear is the Man! And others that helped on cam

This is member feedback of a different kind. Lots of times, I see member fb, & it's negative. I've only done feedback once or twice before, budhayes3 & IIRC, FLT as well; were who I gave a positive nod to before. Billy, cause he's an all out great guy who's helped me learn & FLT builds a nice tranny.

Anyway, as some know, I swapped a Comp 212/218 cam, springs, timing chain, & pinned the crank. 1Bear helped me thru a lot. Even tho I had a service manual, some things are just not in there. Or sometimes, a manual over complicates things. 1Bear walked me thru much of of the way, sitting on the phone & listening to me while I figured out (usually what he told me). :D

Some things he repeated, even if I had to call him & ask the same question again. He told me a couple tips & me not knowing any better, I tried it a different way. Not his awesome 2 tips he told me.
Someone scared me, so I didn't try 1 of his ideas, but later resorted to his idea. I found him to be right, & I then wondered why I didn't do that trick all along.:emb: :eyes:

Many helped along the way as well & I wanna give credit to them too. AKlowriderZ71, Atomic, budhayes3, Doobie, OnyxSilveradoSS, skolman91 & to any others I left out. Thanks to all. :nod:

Jarrod, thank you. I consider you to be an asset to PT, but also my friend. The world needs more people like you. :cheers:

Mangled03gmc 09-21-2010 10:52 AM

Good to here Tom. Glad you had a success with your cam swap, didn't run into any serious issues.. Next is the blower. You will have one stout truck.. :cheers:

fastnblu 09-21-2010 11:06 AM

Thanks for the kind words, John. I hope it's gonna be stout. This cam totally transformed it. I absolutely love it!!! This is the way this thing shoulda been from the factory. Ya, I had issues. Broke off a bolt (that lil long 1 that goes into rear main cover & is unfortunately gonna have to stay in there & hope for no leak there, not how I've ever done things, but it is what it is), had a spark plug wire break (but I think it already was, judging by the discoloration of the black core.) Tightened balancer on to 240#, only to go get my crank pin kit, & realize that new balancer bolt had to come off & get another TTY bolt from dealer. So, a lot of things, some little, some a little more serious. My biggest nightmare was the valve keepers, but I'll know follow the trick 1Bear said to use to the letter. I also don't have to run & get the special tools anymore, cause I bought some. :nod:

All in all, if I had to do again, I could. Faster & mainly, I've learned from my mistakes. That's what it's all about. :)

TXsilverado 09-21-2010 11:14 AM

i guess jerrod is alright :eyes: LMAO nah, the guy if FULL of information...but doesnt post enough lol.

budhayes3 09-21-2010 11:19 AM

Awesome Tom, glad that you finally got it together and I'm glad that I was able to talk to you last night when you took her out for a spin! Thanks for the kind words brother, you've always been good to me too :cheers:

That's a great list of guys that you have there, I know that I've learned a lot from Jarrod, and he's always gone out of his way to provide me with information that will help expand my knowledge, I value his opinion very much, he's definitely good people :thumb:

Enjoy your truck now, and get it tuned so you can really feel what that cam has to offer! :nod:

fastnblu 09-21-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by TXsilverado (Post 4544444)
i guess jarrod is alright :eyes: LMAO nah, the guy if FULL of information...but doesnt post enough lol.

He absolutely is!!! :thumb:

Just what Billy said in the next post. And yes, he doesn't post up enuff, Stewy. ;)

1Bear 09-21-2010 10:08 PM

Tom, I don't mind helping those that will be helped. For some though:bang:

I'm just glad you've got her together and can now work on getting her tuned and start enjoying your hard work.

skolman91 09-21-2010 10:44 PM

what kind of tricks is 1bear turning out..? sorry doesnt sound right:lol:
and which is it, a 218or219 cam..?:suspiciou

AKlowriderZ71 09-22-2010 01:12 AM

Glad you got it all back together Tom! Are you gonna test the results at the track or on the dyno?

Wheatley 09-22-2010 01:45 AM

Yep Jarrod is a very bright dude,and a good guy on top of that.
About 5 or 6 years ago,he helped me do a cam swap on my old 97 model I had at the time.
To this day we talk all the time
It was a cam everyone said was not possible to run in that engine,he proved them wrong!!