Airade tube
Kook's 1 and 7/8 inch headers y-pipe no cats
3 inch Summit catback and turbo muffler single exit
Geared 3:73
Custom tune, street not Dyno tuned

On the shelf about to go in
Vinci trucker high-lift cam vhp224
Dual springs, hardened rods
Circle D 278 2a converter 3000-3200(sent off for freshen up)
Ls7 lifters
.......thoughts of lower gears but I'm not sure yet.....

My question is pretty simple I see more Vinci trucker cams in the for sale Section than in the valve train section when I do the advanced search. I was wondering why you guys sold? Granted the sellers don't mind sharing that information. I'm pretty hell set on what I'm going to do to my truck, but I just have to know. I haven't read anything bad about this cam, I'm just wondering if y'all just upgraded or what?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ChucktheBarber; 09-25-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Diction
Old 09-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why they are selling, I guess more going larger or doing a boost build.

I have had the vinci 210/218 .584/.584 116lsa in my DD for 60-70K miles now. No problems, cam makes great lowend and all around power with stock 60e

My only complaint is some days I wish I would have gone with 112lsa for a little more chop lol
Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Maybe so, this is pt.net and upgrade is a necessity not an option. maybe it's only a small percentage that are selling and most guys are like you.....still smoking!
Chop is nice, LOL. I'm a form follows function guy for the most part, but I cannot deny the facts. Is that a custom grind you got from Vinci? Sounds like it hits hard and pulls!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:39 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

They probably all started on that cam and eventually wanted more power as most builds go. Nothing wrong with the cam, but when you want more you want more.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:26 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I would do 4.10's at least if not higher.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:36 AM
Teching In

no not custom grind, but I have 1.8 roller rockers which give me little extra lift. I did however spend a good bit of time with roger the owner or manager or w/e explaining what I wanted and he was a great guy to deal with.

Most people get caught up in the whole cam spec thing thinking which cam is best and will give me the most power. Truth is there are so many variables, but if you take out rear gear ratio and converter stall aspect with the same heads or hell even mild ported heads most cams are only going to make 10-20(in a magical world)rwhp over my baby cam with a N/A 5.3.

Real issue is the drive ability difference. With that larger cam 10-20 hp might not sound like much, but if it pulls for another 500-1K rmp (with right drive train set up) it will be a decent/big difference at WOT but trading off lowend which the stall skips and makes up for anyway

But to answer your question..... I think you have a solid combo set up and if the bug gets you..... you might be selling your 224 one day to go bigger lol
Old 09-26-2017, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a vinci trucker cam with a blower and it was an awesome cam. I switched to turbo and wanted a little more chop so I swapped to a different cam.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I would do 4.10's at least if not higher.

Dang it's gonna be THAT doggish down low!!!??
Old 09-26-2017, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by topher67
Most people get caught up in the whole cam spec thing thinking which cam is best and will give me the most power. Truth is there are so many variables, but if you take out rear gear ratio and converter stall aspect with the same heads or hell even mild ported heads most cams are only going to make 10-20(in a magical world)rwhp over my baby cam with a N/A 5.3.

Real issue is the drive ability difference. With that larger cam 10-20 hp might not sound like much, but if it pulls for another 500-1K rmp (with right drive train set up) it will be a decent/big difference at WOT but trading off lowend which the stall skips and makes up for anyway

But to answer your question..... I think you have a solid combo set up and if the bug gets you..... you might be selling your 224 one day to go bigger lol

Thanks for the info man. That puts it in a little better prospective as far as "trade off" goes. Hope I didn't go too big. I hate to hear a truck go WHAAAAAAUH!! ...and it's still right there.

"Solid combo" I hope you're right man. I talked to Rodger as well. He said my converter should be ok since it's 10.6 inches and Chris said it's ok too, but I'm still a lil leary. I'll give up SOME down low, but not all. I still want to enjoy my truck.

Bigger????? Uh shiiiiiiiiiidddd, lol I'm still thinking 1900 might be too far from idle for the cam to start working..
Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Update:

Got everything installed and tuned. The idle is set at 750. I love the truck even more now. I think the gears are fine for now at 3:73. Depending on how I drive the tranny shifts a little hard from 1st to 2nd sometimes. Truck is a louder through the headers now which I'm not crazy about, but I'll take the trade-off. Also it seems as if it is working a little too hard in traffic, but it's not SUPER loud, once again I'll take the trade-off. Around 40mph it locks up and the RPMs drop which is cool. I don't really get drone. It got louder don't get me wrong, but it is no where near ear bleeding. I've had to speak up at the drive-thru though however, I'll take the trade-off. I had plans to put my stock cam back in if it was unbearable(seriously), but it's cool. Love the roar when I stomp on it, which isn't often but it's great!! Yeah I'm debating a bullet still.......

Anyway thanks guys for all the info and advice! Learned a lot on this board, obviously because my set-up is cookie cutter for you guys, lol. Not a racer by far, but I now believe I have a performance truck!

Funny how I spent all this dough on making my truck faster and everyone still said, "When you gonna put some wheels on it?". Heavier, taller, wheels. I just don't understand. It's a grocery truck yeah but dam. Man I love my truck.