PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   Rebuild 6.0L help (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/rebuild-6-0l-help-431599/)

clemsondave 02-08-2009 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by SynergyV8 (Post 4122698)
This is one thing I was curious about, since I don't think we ever discussed this during the planning and rebuild. What did you do for push rods? By the way, if it's just a ticking...that's typical of high(er) lift cams especially when you are nearing the recommended limits of the springs.

I kept the stock push rods. I figured with everything almost stock, I would be fine with stock push rods. Guess that a bad assumption.

It is a fair amount of ticking. Doesn't happen at idle (or hard to hear). Also, after a couple WOT passes yesterday, it almost went away. After it cooled, the ticking came back.

Also got a check engine light which I assume is the multiple misfire again. I don't think it is a real misfire. Can't feel it at all. O2s are fine, changed plugs, checked intake connections. Haven't changes wires yet, but we'll swap a few things around to see if it follows various item. I'm also going to get this heavy oil (with assembly lube) out of it today.

Even with the few pesky issues, it is running great!

zippy 02-08-2009 08:40 PM

Make sure you do a crankshaft variation learn. Anytime you have the crank out you need to do this. That may fix your missfire issue.

1FastBrick 02-08-2009 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 4123638)
Make sure you do a crankshaft variation learn. Anytime you have the crank out you need to do this. That may fix your missfire issue.

Is that the same as the re-learn procedure???

clemsondave 02-12-2009 06:52 PM

Misfire was false. It was just b/c of the different cam. Tuner fixed the threshold.

Not every day you stump one of the top mechanics and top machinist. I had both of them over tonight to help me figure out the valvetrain issues. Neither had seen this problem before.

I have valvetrain noise. Worse than that, the lifters are bleeding down in a matter of 10 seconds are so. We measured for correct pushrods, put them in and no difference. We put in two other lengths to vary the pre-load from .030 - .080 and the lifters still bleed down. Plenty of oil pressure (apx 60#).

They are going to call Comp tomorrow to see what they think. We have it narrowed down to a few things.

1. bad lifters (brand new LS7s); it's just strange that all of them (on the one side we are testing) are bad
2. incorrect match-up between the cam, LS7 lifters and LS6 springs

negativeswitches 02-12-2009 07:44 PM

all the lifters only one one side sounds like it could be a difference in head surface machining

if one head was stock plane and the other was -.030 you'd ideally want 8 .030 shorter pushrods on that side

other thought, could an oil gallery be blocked or not blocked properly? I'm jstu shooting into the wind here to try and spark up some ideas

did you silicone any gaskets?

clemsondave 02-12-2009 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by negativeswitches (Post 4127875)
all the lifters only one one side sounds like it could be a difference in head surface machining

if one head was stock plane and the other was -.030 you'd ideally want 8 .030 shorter pushrods on that side

other thought, could an oil gallery be blocked or not blocked properly? I'm jstu shooting into the wind here to try and spark up some ideas

did you silicone any gaskets?

We have not tested the other side, so not sure if it is a one side versus the other side problem. Heads were not milled down.

I did not silicone any gaskets. I replaced all of them, but no silicone.

If the oil galley was blocked, would the oil come up the pushrod? We've got good oil up the rods.

thanks for the thoughts!

I assume LS6 springs/LS7 lifters are a fairly common practice, right?

nickpc82 02-12-2009 08:22 PM

Where'd you end up getting your pistons? I'm looking into a nonforged 6.0 rebuild. Thanks.
I hope you figure out whats wrong

Nick

1FastBrick 02-12-2009 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by clemsondave (Post 4127918)
We have not tested the other side, so not sure if it is a one side versus the other side problem. Heads were not milled down.

I did not silicone any gaskets. I replaced all of them, but no silicone.

If the oil galley was blocked, would the oil come up the pushrod? We've got good oil up the rods.

thanks for the thoughts!

I assume LS6 springs/LS7 lifters are a fairly common practice, right?

Lifters maye just be bad. I have seen it happen before. But I am thinking maybe you probally should have used a little heaver spring. those are close to the limit with the cam specs you ordered. Maybe The cam is on the fat side of specs... Hard to say with out actually measureing... I cant believe your having this much trouble. I Wish I was closer so I could come over and inspect it my self... when you replaced the lifters, did you use new lifter retainers???

1FastBrick 02-12-2009 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by nickpc82 (Post 4127925)
Where'd you end up getting your pistons? I'm looking into a nonforged 6.0 rebuild. Thanks.
I hope you figure out whats wrong

Nick

I think he bought them from Rock auto

He Found the LQ9/LS2 OEM style piston. Sealed Power H1129CT and comes with the pins. They come in stock 4.0, +.50mm and +.75mm. Same part number for an '03 Escalade (vin N), C6 Vette and 1500 SS (vin N).

LS2 connecting rods from Ebay

nickpc82 02-12-2009 09:00 PM

I found the pistons, are the ls2 rods a pretty good upgrade?