INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Pistons and rods lq4

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pistons and rods lq4

Can someone help me out. I have a lq4 I'm replacing the crank due to spun bearing. When I took off my pistons and rods i didint figure till after if it matters what cylinder they go back in or do they have to go back in the same cylinder it came out of.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:09 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

For wear purpose, they should go back in the same hole. If you have mixed them up, I would get new rings and do a light Ball hone to get a fresh seal on the cylinder.

There should be a dot on the top of the piston. This would indicate facing forward in the block.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most places and people I have taliked to, said you would need to have a machine shop do a rebalance on the engine if you mix up were the pistons go. I did the same as you, still trying to decide weather I should stick with stock pistons or get forged pistons and have it all rebalanced.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

These LS engines don't care if you move them around. Heck people even slap gen 4 rods in these motors and just run them. Ball hone and call it good.

Seen several motors make gobs of power just putting everything back together.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
These LS engines don't care if you move them around. Heck people even slap gen 4 rods in these motors and just run them. Ball hone and call it good.

Seen several motors make gobs of power just putting everything back together.
X2, i bent a rod in a Gen 3 6.0 so I pulled them all out and installed Gen 4 pistons/rods. I did reuse the rings and match them to the cylinders them came out of though.

A friend did the same thing with his truck and both setups have thousands of miles on them. Reused rod bearings too...