INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

LS help needed in regards to Cam and tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS help needed in regards to Cam and tune

Ok so i am not the shiniest tool in the box, atually I am quite ignorant!

So here it goes, I have a LR4/GEN III 4.8 LS engine. I just got done putting my home ported 862 heads which were milled down .020, i put my cam on (226 int diration, 234 exh duration at .50 lift and .525 lift), headers, CIA, ERG delete, new timing chain and gears, oil pump and thats about it.

The earliest i can get a custom tune done is next week and i simply could not contain my self when i got her running. I did several WOT pulls. I did not know at the time that, that is really bad for things. I know now, and i will not be driving it again till i get it tuned. What damage could i have done? Please help
Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Possible damage could have been internal with it going lean and hurting the pistons and things like that.

Likely a good idea that you stopped before maybe something did happen. Though while you are waiting you may want to spring for a set of slightly larger fuel injectors just to be safe. The stock 25lb/hr injectors don't go very far, most 5.3 with mild cams run out of fuel rather quickly. Your 4.8 has a pretty big cam with lots of other work done, would kinda suck to only be able to spin 5,500-6,000rpm out it before you already reach 90-100 duty cycle.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

What kinds of things could have been done to the pistons? . Please forgive my ignorance, this is my first time getting into this kind of fun.. learning allot as i go; some times the hard way.

I do have 8.1 injectors, i am waiting on the tune to see if i need them.

Thank you for the reply!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

If cylinder temps got very hot there is always a possibility of something called ring butting. Where the top 2 piston rings expand on the piston and butt together because they can't expand anymore. When that happens it can cause the ring land on the piston to crack/break.

Often times you hear of people chipping a piston, where a chunk off the top of the piston flies off and bounces around inside the cylinder like a ping pong ball. Doing damage to the cylinder wall, cylinder head and valves.
The following users liked this post:
Samuel-Jenie Boyd (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so i prob did 10 WOT pulls or so. What do you think are my odds of messing something up in that time and what are some possible symptoms that i could have done damage?

I appreciate the help!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

If you are curious how it sounds. The thing just sounds like a monster.. like i said, this is litterally the first time i ever even heard a camm'ed out engine in real life.. i really do not know if thats how it should sound, but hey there it is. Its running strait headers right now.. getting exhaust welded up tomorrow and tune it so desperately needs next week. I really hope i didnt mess anything up doing those WOT pulls
Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lmao at the end comment. Sounds like it's not tunes with a choppy cam. If your curious, a good interest should be in a wideband and tuning software. You can then upload logs and learn to tune yourself.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by About20ninj45
Lmao at the end comment. Sounds like it's not tunes with a choppy cam. If your curious, a good interest should be in a wideband and tuning software. You can then upload logs and learn to tune yourself.
If you do not mind, could you please elaborate? Where would i go about starting doing that? I would like to gain that understanding, but really clueless as to where to start.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:32 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Samuel-Jenie Boyd
If you do not mind, could you please elaborate? Where would i go about starting doing that? I would like to gain that understanding, but really clueless as to where to start.
Hp tuners
efilive

go to there websites, to my understanding hptuners is more user friendly
The following users liked this post:
Samuel-Jenie Boyd (11-14-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so i got a problem now. The truck will not start. I pulled a plug and it was soaked in gas. What could this mean? I mean i know its flooded, but why?