INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

LS help needed in regards to Cam and tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok next question for you all. It seems as though i have a lot of lifter noise. I can only assume that i need to review my lashing job but i wanted to check here before I started ripping stuff apart again. I will post a vid in a moment.. if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated
Old 11-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Old 11-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

109 lsa. I ended up pulling the plugs, cleaning them by just swishing them in gasoline and setting them next to the fire place overnight. During that time the cylinders dried out also and it started right up today. I didnt see your post about not starting it till now. It seems to be ok aside from the lifter noise. Oil is nice and clean too. I think she is in good shape, i have just really been stressing over this thing. I felt like i knew so much but i am definitely learning just how little I actually understand about this whole thing. Your input is appreciated
Old 11-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-198035-09

That is the cam

Do you have anything good or bad to say about it? What would be the pros and cons of running this on a 4.8 with milled heads(.020)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Headers make everything louder and I mean everything. Valve train noise will be much louder with headers. The tick/clack sounds pretty normal through a pair of head phones to me.

That cam without a stall converter is going to be kinda lazy down low, it can work but a mid 2,000's to 3,000 stall would be optimal.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much do you want to learn about tuning and engine modifications? The reason I ask this is because you seem to just be starting off. I know your anxious and a little impatient, but brushing up on reading material and def learning how to tune would be worthwhile. I'm not bashing you or talking down to you, so if it seems that way,I want to apologise because that's not my intentions. If budget allows it, buy hptuners or EFI live and a laptop if you don't have one. If you decide to go hptuners, you can message atomic performance about tuning and software packages that he provides, and will answer your questions as to what you want to know. He's a vendor on here. I don't want you to hurt your motor or yourself.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FFDP
Headers make everything louder and I mean everything. Valve train noise will be much louder with headers. The tick/clack sounds pretty normal through a pair of head phones to me.

That cam without a stall converter is going to be kinda lazy down low, it can work but a mid 2,000's to 3,000 stall would be optimal.
Good to hear that, thanks! I actually do have a 2500 stall, corvette servo and shift kit to instal.. right now i am just studing up on it and prepping mentally for that endeavor. Lol
Old 11-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by About20ninj45
How much do you want to learn about tuning and engine modifications? The reason I ask this is because you seem to just be starting off. I know your anxious and a little impatient, but brushing up on reading material and def learning how to tune would be worthwhile. I'm not bashing you or talking down to you, so if it seems that way,I want to apologise because that's not my intentions. If budget allows it, buy hptuners or EFI live and a laptop if you don't have one. If you decide to go hptuners, you can message atomic performance about tuning and software packages that he provides, and will answer your questions as to what you want to know. He's a vendor on here. I don't want you to hurt your motor or yourself.
I appreciate and understand what you mean there. Baby steps is my current motto. That surely is on my radar at the moment, but it is off in the right now. I have only scratched the surface with the basics
Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP

Yep...sounds like the classic sewing machine these motors are known for. As long as you didn't have any metal on your drain plug, you're fine. Any lifter failure would be much more metallic sounding, trust me...I've killed two cams when LS7 lifters crapped out.. Agree on the stall as well...need to let that cam breathe to really wake it up. And if you still have a 60e in the rig, get ready to replace that soon too 😤
Old 11-17-2017, 12:39 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

An easier way to doing a "flood clear" is hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking. This will disable the injectors during cranking.

It is relatively difficult to hurt a stock engine by running too lean without a power adder. Actually "lean" is fine, right at stoich is the most dangerous because it is the hottest. Keep in mind stock tuning has a 60s delay and a 5000rpm delay before it will give extra fuel.

The plugs look very rich. You need tuning