INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Makin sense of Head Flow test

Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 AM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Makin sense of Head Flow test

I got my heads shaved and flow tested, the original flow test chart that came from Patriot, was corrected to 28" the new chart doesn't say anything about that. it says Barometer 29.9, Temp 74 Humidity 64. Is there some way I can use these numbers to come up with a corrected 28" so I can make a decent comparison. The flow numbers are considerably less on the new chart than the ones that came with the heads when I got em.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are so many things that will differ from bench to bench
The only true way is use the same bench they were originally flowed on to be exact.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Agreed, one bench to another, just like dyno's, the numbers will vary a good bit. You really need a known "constant" head to compare them to on that same bench like an LS5 head or similar who's flow numbers and data are well documented. Then you can compare your heads to the constant to get a better idea what they're doing!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 PM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

Okay so I got a flow sheet from the company that originally made up the heads and I got a flow sheet from someone after the heads were milled. Which should I go by. Will milling a head change the flow of the valve ports? I need this to try to match a Cam to the heads and other mods. I was thinking of getting Patrick G to spec a cam for me.
Matt I called Comp they spec'd a Comp cam #54-446-11 xer281hr 232/234 .595/.598 112LSA said RPM range was 2400-7200. Yall have the same specd Cam,called a torquer2 with a different RPM range I think 1800-6400. your people told me I'd have piston to valve clearance issues, what's the difference in theses cams. Any Idea why comp didn't tell me I'd have problems.

Last edited by ByuTrukr; 10-21-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: not finish my post hit enter by accident
Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

To know what will and will not clear, you'd have to measure the free valve drop (distance the valve travels from its seat to its deck surface or a flat surface the head it sitting on). That'll give us a good idea of how much room you have to work with!

The TorquerV2 is a nice camshaft, and definitely peaks by about 6400rpm or so! You could spin it higher, but no need to typically on these engines because they're done by then and only falling in HP!

Unfortunately, Comp's people have somewhat limited specialized knowledge on this platform and don't deal with them exclusively like we do and deal with them all day every day. They have to know a little about a lot of subjects....whereas we try to know alot about a relatively little subject (LSx only). Does that make sense?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Unfortunately, Comp's people have somewhat limited specialized knowledge on this platform and don't deal with them exclusively like we do and deal with them all day every day. They have to know a little about a lot of subjects....whereas we try to know alot about a relatively little subject (LSx only). Does that make sense?
Another thing that I've found out about Comp...call three different times and talk to three different reps and you'll get three different recommendations...often completely different...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:22 PM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
To know what will and will not clear, you'd have to measure the free valve drop (distance the valve travels from its seat to its deck surface or a flat surface the head it sitting on). That'll give us a good idea of how much room you have to work with!

The TorquerV2 is a nice camshaft, and definitely peaks by about 6400rpm or so! You could spin it higher, but no need to typically on these engines because they're done by then and only falling in HP!

Yeah it does I see y'all on here i never see any of their people on here
Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Another thing that I've found out about Comp...call three different times and talk to three different reps and you'll get three different recommendations...often completely different...
I sent a cam recommendation request form online and it was about a week later I hadn't got an answer, so I called ang got the recommendation, I saw the cam on TSP so I called them , they told me right away I might have issues, I called Comp back and they said the only way to tell was to put it in the engine and check it like that. Man I want to get this thing back together, riding in the Camaro is great but just not like the truck LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 AM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

Will milling a head change the flow characteristics, I have a flow sheet from Patriot performance and from someone else which should I use? Patriot CNC'd and did the valve work.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

can anybody answer this question?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Makin sense of Head Flow test