PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   Huge problems and don't know what to do!!!!! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/huge-problems-dont-know-what-do-518602/)

zaneregan2010 06-05-2013 07:15 PM

Huge problems and don't know what to do!!!!!

I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 motor. I just recently blew the motor and needing to get the cheapest fix possible so I can trade it into the dealership and get something else.can I just throw a 4.8 motor in there and be just fine? I need the cheapest fix possible

06murder 06-05-2013 07:19 PM

Don't think a dealership would take it if has blown motor. But what wrong with it?

outlawz2004 06-05-2013 07:35 PM

they look the same on the outside so a 4.8 would do it

m3srt 06-05-2013 07:42 PM

Put some thick oil mixed with Holy water .. dilute 52:1

kelsey_canard 06-05-2013 11:44 PM

Yea, you can toss in a 4.8. The tune will need to be adjusted for it. What happened to the 5.3.

zaneregan2010 06-06-2013 06:55 AM

Lifters collapsed and destroyed the cam. Doing a cam swap was an option till i priced everything

06tx4.8 06-06-2013 07:03 AM

so you are wanting to throw in a 4.8 and trade it in?? I understand that money being tight can be an issue, but tossing in a motor that didnt come
with the truck, trading it in and letting it be someone elses problem isnt a much better idea, kind of shitty IMO. What exactlly happened to it? was it a stock motor or modded? I have a few stock cams that i would be happy to send one of them if it would help you out.

zaneregan2010 06-06-2013 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 06tx4.8 (Post 5111227)
so you are wanting to throw in a 4.8 and trade it in?? I understand that money being tight can be an issue, but tossing in a motor that didnt come
with the truck, trading it in and letting it be someone elses problem isnt a much better idea, kind of shitty IMO. What exactlly happened to it? was it a stock motor or modded? I have a few stock cams that i would be happy to send one of them if it would help you out.

Yea man I understand with all the dod and vvt it just scares me to actually get into one of those motors. My dad switched jobs and he lost his connection with the shop we could of used. So not only I have no idea on what to do, but I don't even have a place to eve start taking apart the motor and actually going through the entire motor. And trying to figure out what actually happened in what order.:bang::rage::rage::bang:

06tx4.8 06-06-2013 08:03 AM

honestly bud its simple. Pulling the heads isnt difficult, swapping lifters, ect. There are plenty of us on here that are willing to answer any questions you have. hell I know there are a few boys in OK that will probably lend you a hand. as far as not having room, that does suck.

zaneregan2010 06-06-2013 09:21 AM

Yea there are a couple of guys around here. I am just not to happy about having to do something like this it really does scare me. The only reason I am considering that it is a cam is beacuse it makes a chirping noise at idle. I was reading a service bulliton like what we get at the motorcycle dealership I work at, and it was saying that if you are hearing a chearping it usually means your cam is gone. I personally don't think it is a lifter because It would be making a lot of noise wouldn't it?