INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Do LS1 heads fit on 4.8/5.3 Motors??

Old 07-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do LS1 heads fit on 4.8/5.3 Motors??

Well i was thinking about buying an F-body, but now looking into it, the only ones I can find are 2002 with around 70K miles on the clock....not very realiable, so I would like to look into buying a pick up, either a chevy silverado or gmc sierra...

Now I know there are 3 engine choices, 4.8L, 5.3L and a 6.0L.... I'm thinking of the 4.8L as its the cheapest and easily upgradable to a 5.3L.. but i want to get a head/cam combo in the future...

will most head/cam combos work ??? or are there specific ones for the truck motors??
Old 07-07-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,they do fit.LS1 heads have larger combustion chambers,slightly larger intake valves and similar porting.The performance increase from bolting a set of LS1 heads on a 5.3/4.8 would be minimal,because you would lower the compression ratio and the positive effects of the larger intake valves would be reduced by the smaller bores shrouding the valves.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:45 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good explanation
Old 07-07-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

ls1's(5.7), 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 are all gen3 small block chevy's and all share much of the same components and what is different is pretty much interchangable. Here is a list of bore, stroke, and rod lengths.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

by the way, I think the middle eastern interest in American muscle here lately is great! We are always here to help
Old 07-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mjhoward
by the way, I think the middle eastern interest in American muscle here lately is great! We are always here to help
Thanks so much! Yeah everywhere you look all u see is american muscle... you should the see the amount of street racing that goes on, its amazing

As for Turbo'd trucks, we are still yet to have one in Kuwait. Ppl always say the weather is too hot to turbo a truck, but I think thats why they make bigger intercoolers to go with them!

The furthest a truck goes here is supercharger, headers, cam and exhaust...I would love to break that barrier and go a step further.. I've seen a 4.8L silverado from the states with a turbo set up running 10.98 in the 1/4 mile! I just wanna say wow! I wish 1/4 of the work done in the states was made avaliable over here...

I mean labour is dirt cheap, parts are expensive since we have to keep in mind shipping, but laws are broken with not much penalty and there are no emission testings either so we can do pretty much whatever we want with our rides, as long as it's not too loud or else we'll get a ticket

But to add to this post, I would like to ask a common H/C combo for a 4.8L truck. and Maybe keeping in mind that I would want to go FI in the future. MJ I have taken a look at your pictures and its a very clean install! congrats as we say here to take the evil eye off you, mashallah!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the complements but my turbo truck was really a quick job and not of "show quality". There are many other guys on here doing much cleaner installs than I. I just care about going fast and very little show myself.
About Turbos having to much heat, I had a Magnacharger Radix pushing 12.5 lbs boost on a 4.8 and had 170*F+ intake air temps (IAT) with 85* ambient. That is 85* rise. With my turbo set up i have only seen around 10* rise in IAT's with a front mount intercooler (FMIC). If you are truely concerned about underhood temps check out STS turbo. They are rear-mount.
As far as head/cam combos for the 4.8......The heads are pretty well. But I'd check out Patriot performance and West Coast Cyl heads sponsors>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Cam, well it depends on the truck and what you want to do with it. If you plan on doing a lot of mods i'd say go ahead and build a 6.0L or larger out of a 6.0 block. But that is another subject. More info would help.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

On american muscle over there....take some pics and post up!
On the topic of tubos and you having too much heat. I know of a neighbor company here that stay constantly busy on selling turbos, parts, & engines to people in the UAE. Primarily for sand drags and some street.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

I'll get some pics up as soon as i'm done with my summer course, right now I'ts just been hectic fitting in a 3month class into one month!! Bout the turbo, Dubai's weather is much better then ours, I know it's only 1hr 30mins by plane, but the top temps they get in summer are around 45*C where as we in Kuwait get over 55*!!

The reason I'm thinking of buying a pick up is because at the moment I own an '02 Trailblazer. I've added a Volant, custom headers, custom magnaflow dual exhaust and HP Tuners, and the engine screwed up! I didn't even do anything drastic to it either.. now if there were any forged parts for the I6, then I'm sure I'd be driving my TB now with a 150shot of gas and not even ask about what would be good for a silverado/sierra.. but alas, the market for the I6s is dreadful!

You said that your turbo set up was not clean!? lol I don't wanna see what kinda mess i'd end up with then We have recently just got a couple of Joe Gibbs into Kuwait and they are beautiful! I love the rims especially but think the exhaust could be changed little... its a nice car with a hefty price tage to match, the ones they brought were supercharged and manual which is perfect, but as a student, i just don't have the cash!

I was thinking of buy a Lightning as there was an '02 for a good price, but later i found out the truck had an accident before hand and the salesman was trying to flog me off so i walked away...

You said also that you just cared about going fast and very little show, well this is what my plan is. I want to keep my car a sleeper . Stock rims, maybe harden up the suspension a little, muffler in the exhaust and if i can get around 400whp N/A then that would be my route, if not then I would love to go FI! not supercharger though as it wouldn't produce quite enough power, but turbo deffinately.. is there anyway you could tell me how much you spent on your kit in total??

I would buy each part one at a time as I think buying a complete kit is a rip off, you could find parts here and there and pay for them as you go, instead of one large lump sum of money..

I'm new to internals of a motor as i've only had my blazer to play round with, but i have been reading a hell of a lot into internals and know the basic principle behind each part...but with a V8, i'd be able to take it to a garage, and help do the install with a qualified engineer making my knowledge even greater!
Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

buying one part at a time is definatly the way to go. I have around $3500 in my turbo stuff alone but that isn't including the fueling that is required to support the hp. Livernois makes an underhood kit that is really nice. Check into them. they have no fueling though. As far as keeping your IAT's down meth ijection is definatly a must with you. Snow performance, coolingmist and others are something to look at. Water, methenol, or water/meth mix is what you need to look into. There is more than enough info for you on this board. use the search button and you will find a lot. This is a little better link to my build.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=366064
Also, my truck was just a trim package. I added the supercharger after I bought it and modded it until I blew it. You can search my old threads to find that info. But seriously, chemical intake cooling is what you MUST have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do LS1 heads fit on 4.8/5.3 Motors??