PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   Assembly Lube (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/assembly-lube-560473/)

The_W 06-07-2023 04:22 PM

Assembly Lube

What assembly lube are people using these days? I used lubriplate back 8ish years ago. I am about to assemble my engine hopefully next week. Catch is I have a son about to be born in next three weeks give or take. So I want to get the engine button up at minimum but it will sit for a few months before installing. I am thinking a more tacky assembly lube is needed in this situation yes, no?

shakenfake 06-07-2023 04:39 PM

I use Lubriplate.

I wouldn’t worry about the time. The lubriplate should be fine for that. I have prepped blocks to sit for years with it lol

strutaeng 06-07-2023 04:40 PM

Congratulations on the new member of your family!

The_W 06-07-2023 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by strutaeng (Post 5522462)
Congratulations on the new member of your family!

Thank you!

RDF1 06-07-2023 09:39 PM

Lucas OIl Stabilizer on bearings.
Ive even used it to coat cylinder walls and interior of engine if its going to sit for awhile to keep it from rusting.
Can take engine apart a year later and the stuff is still stuck to everything.

Had a customer start his engine without a oil filter and pumped all the oil out and didnt notice the oil pressure gauge on Zero and called complaining that the engine is noisy.
he cranked it up a few more times and i cranked it when i got there. Then noticed the huge pile of oil on the ground..

Tore engine down and bearings looked new.

1FastBrick 06-08-2023 10:42 AM

Torco assembly lube for bearings.
Straight 30 weight engine oil for cylinder walls, pistons, rings, and lifters.

RDF1 06-08-2023 12:37 PM

I've got some torco and some redline assembly lube. But my dispenser still has Lucas in it so waiting to run out before trying the other stuff

1FastBrick 06-08-2023 12:50 PM

I have never used the Lucas before. But I would be open to trying that and the Royal Purple Stuff. I can't say I have heard anything negative about either.

I have a friend that mixes motor oil with White lithium grease and uses White lithium grease on all pressure points. He swears by it. Won't catch me doing that though...

I see Joe Gibbs has an Assembly grease for motor assembly as well.

I can tell you, That black Assembly Lube from Sta-Lube that's at every auto parts store Will never be used on anything I work on ever again... ended up with trash on a bearing during build and fortunately I caught it before the motor was buttoned up. Had to replace all the main bearings.

RDF1 06-08-2023 01:51 PM

I really like Lucas. It's cheap ($30/gallon) and after first break in oil change I'll use 1qt per oil change after that.

I was in a pinch one night on a rush job and i didnt want to use motor oil or grease. So Lucas it was. Then found out some my old timer buddys have been using it for years on gas and diesels. And after one customer ran his new engine without oil and I saw how the bearings were still clean I keep using it cause It works.

The_W 06-09-2023 09:55 AM

This is all good info, I appreciate it! when you say straight 30 weight oil what do you mean SAE30