PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   any issues with the new comp 918 springs (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/any-issues-new-comp-918-springs-418437/)

gold87TBI 05-23-2008 06:10 PM

any issues with the new comp 918 springs

hey guys i wanted just to ask if any of u guys are having trouble with the new comp 918 springs, i have seen a couple of them break already and i thought that issue was already taken care of. just want some input on the springs

trever1t 05-23-2008 06:20 PM

You have seen a couple of the new shiny springs break or the older striped ones?

I don't know if this is the case or not but I'll throw it out there....Aftermarket heavier springs need more warm-up time.

gold87TBI 05-23-2008 07:47 PM

my brother called me earlier and he said he had just seen a cammed 08 chevy build from nelson performance and one of the spring was broken and messed up the valve and scratch the piston a little

CashDudeHomie 05-23-2008 11:02 PM

Don't take a chance. I've seen 2 cases of the silver springs breaking. They break more catastrophically than the striped ones and in a random spot in the middle of the spring, so it's probably the driver/installer's fault. But still, I feel much better with a double spring. The old striped springs were just shitty quality. I lost a piston and head to those POS's.

Llaverito 05-24-2008 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by gold87TBI (Post 3925859)
my brother called me earlier and he said he had just seen a cammed 08 chevy build from nelson performance and one of the spring was broken and messed up the valve and scratch the piston a little

Yep it was a new comp cam 918 the silver ones, I take some pics tomorrow. I also saw a thread not to long ago with new 918s broken.

Mangled03gmc 05-24-2008 02:41 AM

I sure hope my new comps don't fuking break, I just installed them today..

John

trever1t 05-24-2008 08:29 AM

mine have been in for ~8000 miles? no problems (knock on wood)

TG02Z71 05-24-2008 09:55 AM

Me thinks the material is not quite as flexible as the stocker.
I wonder what alloy and heat treatment if any is used on these springs?
I would not think that the relatively low heat from the engine would cause them to get more brittle, but you are right Trever, maybe they need more warm up time to gain flexibility somewhat.

So what is a viable alternative to these springs? I need to get some very soon once I start amassing parts for my new engine.

RandomHero 05-24-2008 10:37 AM

I'm sure that 99% of the instances of failure were due to a shitty install or people beating on their trucks before the engine reached operating temperature.

gold87TBI 05-24-2008 10:47 AM

last time i talked to john at texas speed i asked him about the old 918 springs and he told that comp had changed their production to a warehouse in mexico city i dont know if it is true or not and that's when they started having trouble with the springs breaking on the old badge, before they were produced by some company that has the PAC springs some side company of scoggyn dicky, i have used a couple of thos PAC springs on some cam swaps for customers they have the stock apperance, but some of them like the comp just because of the name brand