PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   6.0 build/swap (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/6-0-build-swap-559665/)

01silvy 06-21-2022 03:10 PM

6.0 build/swap

Hey everyone, I have a 6.0 being gone through right now and as of now it’s getting bored .030” over and I will probably keep factory rods and crank.

I have a set of Advanced Induction 226cc port job 243/799 heads that were milled to 59cc on the combustion chamber. The heads will just get cleaned up and resprung for the fresh 6.0. I have no idea what im doing for pistons yet but I’m shooting for 11.0:1-11.5:1 CR since I will be NA and run 93 pump gas.

So on to my real questions… The cam im currently running was spec’d by Advanced Inductions back in 2015 for the current 5.3 it has been in. I like the street manners and it tows fine with the baby 1800-2000 stall i have in my 4l80e from Jake’s Performance. I will post a pic of the cam spec’s with it’s QC sheet so you guys can look it over. What im wanting to know is if I will be leaving anything on the table with swapping this same cam over to my 6.0? I don’t want to go any smaller on spec’s but would be willing to go bigger if the juice would be worth the squeeze and not lose the good manners the truck has currently.

Also, I will be running stock truck intake and throttle body(should I even consider a bigger throttle body or leave it as is?) and I currently have DeatschWerks injectors, I believe they are the 35lb injectors but I will confirm that. Anyway, if they are the 35lb injectors, will I be fine there or do I need to start looking at the 44lb injectors?

Next, what are the current recommendations on lifters? I am currently using the Morel drop-ins and have been for about 50k miles with no issues, they seems to be quiet as well. I don’t really see the need for link bars yet nor want to spend that much $$ on a good set.

Sorry it’s a lot of questions and I’m sure I will have more coming. Thanks in advance!

Jon
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.per...977bf42ed.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.per...a2ef71abc.jpeg

1FastBrick 06-21-2022 10:37 PM

That cam will work, but being a 6.0L you could probably step up a little.

Maybe in the 220 range on duration.

01silvy 06-21-2022 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick (Post 5512366)
That cam will work, but being a 6.0L you could probably step up a little.

Maybe in the 220 range on duration.

Thanks for the reply, would the extra $300-$400 on a new cam be worth it over what my current cam will do? If going a little bigger would only get me another 5-10 hp on the dyno at 6k rpm then im not real interested in paying for another cam. Especially because this thing gets used as a truck and I tow occasionally with it.

Do you have any specific cams in mind that stick out?

1redta 06-22-2022 07:13 AM

I’d look at bigger injectors

shakenfake 06-22-2022 08:25 AM

Nah keep your current cam, not worth the money imo if you already have one

01silvy 06-22-2022 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1redta (Post 5512371)
I’d look at bigger injectors

I need to confirm for sure what size I have in there now. I can’t remember where I ordered them and I’m sure whatever documentation I had on them is long gone after 6-7 years. But either way it’s safe to say I should be looking at the 44lb injectors? I only plan on spinning it to 6500 rom’s max… I will probably shift around 6k-6200k.

01silvy 06-22-2022 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by shakenfake (Post 5512373)
Nah keep your current cam, not worth the money imo if you already have one

Thats kinda the way I was leaning but I just wanted Confirmation from the crew. All of this is depending on how it looks when I tear the 5.3 down. It might have some weird wear on it and I end up buying a new one anyway.

If push come to shove I will probably be looking hard at the BTR stage 4 truck cam. It’s specs are a little healthier than what I'm running now but nit a huge step up.

1redta 06-22-2022 03:54 PM

I’d watch some Richar Holdner videos and decide if it would be worth it

Modern Barbarian 06-23-2022 02:30 PM

The 6.0 will take a bigger cam with better manners due to the increased displacement. The gains from where you are to a larger cam with good manors could be as large as 40 to 50 hp based on what I have seen, but that would take a lot of research to get just the right one for your combo.

With how easy it is to swap cams on these things i would try what you have first and if its too mild for you, then get a stick with bigger bumps on it.

1FastBrick 06-23-2022 05:39 PM

Because of your stock-ish stall ratio and towing. I would not use the stage4 cam. Either stick with what you have or If you have to get a new cam, Work some one to get a cam for your needs. in my opinion, I would get the LSA wide. I don't think you would want to drop bellow a 112 for towing. stick around the 114. The compression ratio is going to make a huge difference along with the bump in displacement over your current set up.