PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   2006 l33 5.3 engine overhaul (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/2006-l33-5-3-engine-overhaul-499181/)

jcm1107 03-22-2012 08:14 PM

2006 l33 5.3 engine overhaul

Hi I am new here. I joined because of all the high performance engine work i saw being posted about. Well here is why I joined, I have a 2006 silverado extended cab with l33 5.3 and m30 trans 3.42 gear ratios 4x4 and I am a mechanic and have a wynns warranty on it. It is using oil, 1qt in 1500 miles so I finally got my boss convinced to let me change pistons and rings under warranty. What I want to do while I am in there is bore and stroke it and put in a cam and I am having dificulty finding forged aftermarket rods, crank, pistons etc. I want to put a blower or turbo or nitrous or a combination on it also at least on down the road. I think I would need to change pushrods and valve springs and rocker arms too. I am kind of on a budget like 5k to spend right now. Oh and this is my daily driver I am not looking to get too crazy just gain some power as I love the feel of acceleration and once in a while I hook to a trailer that is 8000 pounds I want to keep the same fuel economy as I have now or better I wouldn't complain if I got 2 miles a gallon worse and gained a few hundred horses though!!! I know I will have to get a programmer what would you all sugest? I was thinking hypertech. I would like to tune it myself though wich programmer best gives that option? I mean I am an ase master mechanic I think I can handle it if the programmer has the capabilities. keep in mind all I have in it is parts I get paid to do the labor and hopefully they will give me the money stock pistons and rings would cost since that is what failed anyway. If not at least I get paid to soup up my engine:nod:

jcm1107 03-23-2012 08:22 PM

I want to make it naturally aspirated for now and bore it 60 over with 4" stroke. I don't want to have to rebuild the trans or anything and keep the stock stall converter. I like the powerband this stock motor has and want to keep it. I want to raise the compression to 10.5 to 11.5 I think this would run on premium. What cc volume are these heads does anyone know? I have 799 casting. Really I want to change as little as possible to make this thing a stroker and I can always do more latter. I found hypertectic pistons but can not find forged unless I go bigger and I am not going much more than 60 over I would go 70-80 but dont want to. the forged I found I would have to bore .125 over and I think this would leave to thin of a cylinder wall in an aluminum block. Anyone got any input?

mcfarlnd 03-24-2012 08:23 PM

You have a lot of reading to do. All the stuff you just asked about has been gone over. Please use the search feature and "stickies".