Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Test drove a ECSB 6.2 LTZ Z71 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs up Test drove a ECSB 6.2 LTZ Z71 4x4

The dealer only had the 6.2 in an ext cab so I choose that one. I pulled my nnbs next to it and got out the tape measure. The 14 double cab rear is much smaller than my ecsb 2009. I believe it was about 1 3/4 inches less for the opening getting in. I put the driver seat in the same spot. Measured pedals to bottom seat and steering wheel to back seat to make sure it's as close to my trucks setting as possible. I could barely get into the back seat. It plain out sucked. The little old saleslady sat sat w her legs in the middle when she was behind the driver seat. I have fit 5 guys in my truck w out much dis comfort, I don't see that happening w the new body style.

The truck drove amazing, as any 48k dollar truck should. Super quiet and smooth. It went to v4 at 60 mph on the back roads and it was reading 23 mpg. It shifted all 6 gears very smooth and clicked into 4wheel drive at 60 with out a noise.

Did a bunch of 0-80 pulls and it was a beast. Spun the tires w out a prob in 2wd When i clicked off traction control. I even did a 4x4 launch leaving about 2k rpm and it chirped and spun the tires.

The interior is very fancy and has a ton of settings and customization available. The would take some time to get set up and used to, kinda like your first time w a smart phone.

Of course I looked around the engine bay. Looks like they moved the main harness toward the front on the driver side for easier twins. The pass side is a little more cluttered w the new ac hoses and some new wiring. Doesn't look to be much more of an issue than the nnbs style pass side. Room around the head lights and behind the grill looks very promising for a nice FMIC. I'd guess a 4 inch core would fit and def 3 in pipes.

The underside looks similar, it does have a weird exhaust. Constant flat spots and tubing diameter changes. Maybe I missed my guess but the drive shaft looked bigger than mime too.

I have to sell my car before I pull the trigger on a 50k truck but I'm pretty much sold on the 6.2 Silverado. Might end up de modding my truck sooner than I planned to trade it in so keep an eye open guys. Sales lady said the typical 6-8 week wait on a build.

Here's some of the pass side

Driver side

Coolant lines don't look to be a prob. Some might have to moved or re routed. Same for the upper rad hose, the charge pipe can prolly come up between the hose and the rad to the TB w a 90*.

Ac lines looks like it can be unbolted from the engine and tweaked toward the fender.

Looks like a new size Maf sensor

Wondering what the pcv system consists of and how we are going to attack that.

Turbo Oil feed on the driver side looks the same. Drill and tap the pan wherever. And the oil dip stick is now on the driver side so we don't have the futz w that
Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah now u see why lance outruns me!! Ha what gears were in the truck u drove? 3.42's? These new 6.2's are no joke!! Gm hit a home run with this motor!! I can't wait to see what lances runs with the tune!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

3:42 gears
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah the first one we test drove had 3.42's as well, and it ran really well!! These 3.73's will pull like a train too!! Good bit of difference in the two, or so it feels...
Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Get anCCSB it has way more room!!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Love hearing all these great things about the 14 6.2's.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LANCE ATKINSON
Get anCCSB it has way more room!!
Yes for sure the cc but I don't know about a short or reg bed yet
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

I forgot to ask you guys...

Do these have stabilatrack or just traction control? I push the TC off and it laid rubber pretty good. I held the button down but never seen a stabilatrack message.

Ps. Hate this option. Click the button off and roast tires. That's what I want.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

I just took delivery of my 14 6.2 Crew Cab High Country last Friday and it is a nice piece of work! I've had it just over a week and roughly 650 miles and it's so much more refined than the previous models. The new DI 6.2 ain't no joke and definitely has more ***** than my 2013 Crew Cab 6.2 and the fuel mileage is a ton better. I'm currently averaging about 17 mpg with about 50/50 mix of highway and stop and go driving as well as pulling the mountain yesterday. I do wish it was E-85 compatible.

To answer your question about the Stabilitrac and Traction Control, yes, it has both systems. It takes ALOT longer to turn Stabilitrac off than the previous model. Just keep holding the button and it will shut off. Just guessing (because I didn't time it) but I'd say it takes about 30 seconds now, where the previous model like my 2013 only took about 10 seconds of holding the button. Just as a note if you didn't already know, it automatically reengages the Stabilitrac system once the wheel speed increases over 35 mph. My 2013 6.2 also did this. I really wish it would turn completely off.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Crap!! I almost had myself talked into trading up. I drive my truck sideways looking out side windows all winter up to 70-80mph in the snow with winterforces. No way I would give that up. Hopefully the aftermarket comes up with a defeat of stabilitrac. We can buy a default off module for the corvettes.

Quick Reply: Test drove a ECSB 6.2 LTZ Z71 4x4