Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Need help dead in the parking lot P0106 code

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
The point was that the original diagnosis needed to be more comprehensive. One broken valve spring that is still providing valve lift doesn't make the engine sound like its running on two cylinders.

My advice shouldn't be taken lightly. Literally the best names in the aftermarket industry pay me good money to help them with problems, and I rip designs apart in the professional industry all the same. If I give you free information, it's in your best interest to listen.
The advice you gave originally was to diagnose the sensor issue. It was diagnosed and repaired.

When a intake valve spring breaks, raw fuel and combustion gasses shoot up into the intake that causes other cylinders to ingest that and run bad, along with pressure from the cylinder with the stuck open intake valve that freaks out the MAP sensor (since it sees pressure and vacuum very erratically) and it will run like absolute **** since it has lost all fuel control which affects all cylinders. The intake spring was the MAP issue.

The proof is in the fact that when he replaced the spring it ran great and had no more MAP codes.

Now it has a cam lobe that got ate up on another cylinder. This is a new problem, not the same one.

So what's that information that you gave that wasn't listened to?

You said you are a software engineer and don't turn wrenches. I turn wrenches and walked him through the original repair. Maybe you have who should listen backwards.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
The advice you gave originally was to diagnose the sensor issue. It was diagnosed and repaired.

When a intake valve spring breaks, raw fuel and combustion gasses shoot up into the intake that causes other cylinders to ingest that and run bad, along with pressure from the cylinder with the stuck open intake valve that freaks out the MAP sensor (since it sees pressure and vacuum very erratically) and it will run like absolute **** since it has lost all fuel control which affects all cylinders. The intake spring was the MAP issue.

The proof is in the fact that when he replaced the spring it ran great and had no more MAP codes.

Now it has a cam lobe that got ate up on another cylinder. This is a new problem, not the same one.

So what's that information that you gave that wasn't listened to?

You said you are a software engineer and don't turn wrenches. I turn wrenches and walked him through the original repair. Maybe you have who should listen backwards.

When an intake valve spring breaks on a direct injected engine, that "raw fuel and combustion gasses shoot up into the intake" issue is a non-issue. Why? Because none of the fuel can get out past the intake valve. Or, at least that would be the case if the valve spring was broken bad enough to cause that amount of noise on a filtered pressure sensor signal as you say. This is something any mechanic should be able to deduce.

The sensor issue was ignored. Case in point..."something else" is wrong. IE...something is still wrong and you don't know if they are related.

Never said I don't turn wrenches. I don't do it for a living because it bores me. I build literally everything on my vehicles because I don't trust anyone else to do it. Engines, transmissions, transfer cases, wiring harnesses, control modules, software...ALL done by me. And I write the software for GM including diagnostics, which requires total system knowledge... Like I said, if I tell you something, you should listen...especially if I give it to you for free.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

When an intake valve spring breaks on a direct injected engine, that "raw fuel and combustion gasses shoot up into the intake" issue is a non-issue. Why? Because none of the fuel can get out past the intake valve. Or, at least that would be the case if the valve spring was broken bad enough to cause that amount of noise on a filtered pressure sensor signal as you say. This is something any mechanic should be able to deduce.

The sensor issue was ignored. Case in point..."something else" is wrong. IE...something is still wrong and you don't know if they are related.

Never said I don't turn wrenches. I don't do it for a living because it bores me. I build literally everything on my vehicles because I don't trust anyone else to do it. Engines, transmissions, transfer cases, wiring harnesses, control modules, software...ALL done by me. And I write the software for GM including diagnostics, which requires total system knowledge... Like I said, if I tell you something, you should listen...especially if I give it to you for free.

When a valve spring breaks the valve hangs open. If the intake valve spring is broken it CANNOT close the intake valve. Does not matter if it's port injected or direct injected the fuel and combustion gasses shoot right past the valve THAT IS HANGING OPEN due to a broken spring. When the spring breaks the valve hangs OPEN it doesn't give a **** what kind of injection is on it when that happens, everything in the cylinder shoots up past the valve along with pressure that shouldn't be there and will cause a MAP code because the MAP is seeing things that aren't supposed to be there. The intake will no longer be under steady vacuum and the MAP signal will become erratic.

MAP sensors do not cause valve springs to break or cams to get scored. They don't cause knocking/clicking/ticking sounds either and that is the current complaint with this vehicle.

You're telling everyone to listen to you when you speak, yet you haven't offered a helpful tip of what to look for or how to fix it.

I've been a tech for 20 years, worked on cars for 23. I do it at the shop and at home. I've been master certified for 15 years. I'm a stand alone tech with 7 bays at my disposal and the lead tech over 14 shops. If you want a pissing contest there you go. I made it to where I am because of what I can do in a shop that none of my shop owners other 100 guys can do. And that's complex diagnostics with a 100% fixed right the first time score, and no comebacks. I've held that for many years. I meet guys like you all the time, you think you know it all and talk down to other people and yet you can't diag a simple issue.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Sent a PM..

Last edited by smokeshow; 05-15-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Sent a PM..
Just saw this, got the PM and appreciate it