Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Need help dead in the parking lot P0106 code

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

It's fine the best scanner I got is the VCM scanner you use to tune with HP tuner.

At what point do I need to look at pulling the motor and sending it off to be reworked.

If a valve kissed piston I assume I do. But do I need to still pull it if it's just a lifter and a cam that messed up?
Old 03-28-2019, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

If it's a lifter and cam you can yank the heads and the front cover. Some people pull the radiator and condenser to get the cam out, some move the condenser to the side and let it hang.

If it is a cam and lifter set you'll need some extra cheap oil to flush the motor with by leaving the oil pan drain plug out and a pan under it and just pouring oil through the motor to carry the metal out.

I have a feeling it may be worse than a lifter and cam, cause when those wear out the lifter still opens and closes the valve and they run okay but make a lot of noise. If you found that you've dropped a valve then it's most likely best to just grab a used motor. I've had far better luck over the years with used motors that lower cost rebuilds, a quality rebuild or new engine is gonna cost a fortune.

I really can't believe this happened to you if it is internal damage, meaning it's so odd and abnormal for one to just fail like that, but it does happen. Sucks big time.

Concentrate on pulling the valve covers and inspecting all the valves, their heights, and turning the motor over and watching all the rockers and valves, make sure none stay stuck down if they are all there. If everything looks good check compression. I would pull the plugs out to make it easier to turn over the motor by hand.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:44 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I recommend diagnosing the sensor issue first because, given there are mechanical issues internally, you don't know what caused them. If you just fix the symptom and fire it back up, this could all happen again and ruin your rebuilt engine.

MAP sensor diagnostics are pretty robust. They haven't changed much in 25 years or so. You're not going to trip one of those faults unless there is an issue related to the sensor. Like I said, I'd start with the 5V supply to the MAP sensor.

You've got nothing to lose hooking up a meter while your broken engine is running. You do after its rebuilt. I don't turn wrenches professionally, but I am a software engineer and I do work for GM...
Old 03-28-2019, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I recommend diagnosing the sensor issue first because, given there are mechanical issues internally, you don't know what caused them. If you just fix the symptom and fire it back up, this could all happen again and ruin your rebuilt engine.

MAP sensor diagnostics are pretty robust. They haven't changed much in 25 years or so. You're not going to trip one of those faults unless there is an issue related to the sensor. Like I said, I'd start with the 5V supply to the MAP sensor.

You've got nothing to lose hooking up a meter while your broken engine is running. You do after its rebuilt. I don't turn wrenches professionally, but I am a software engineer and I do work for GM...
I've turned wrenches professionally for 20 years, I'm a one man show over 7 other shops. Not trying to brag, just saying I've been here before. A bad map will cause poor fuel control and you'd have performance issues. He said it was fine and all the sudden this happened. That's not what map sensors do or cause. If the MAP outputs bad data the PCM will flag it and ignore it and use inferred info from the O2 sensors and MAF to get the fuel trims back into a reasonable range.\

If you want to check the 5 volt reference, just unplug the map, turn the key on and grab your volt meter and look for 5 volts at the Gray and Red wire. Should be Gray with a Red stripe.

Black with Light Green is the ground (low reference)

Lt Green and White is the signal return back to the PCM

Weird **** happens and sometimes things do **** you don't expect, but I have never seen a MAP sensor cause a violent shaking of the engine and banging sounds or cause a mechanical failure on a stock vehicle. If it had power adders and went lean then maybe, but you would notice it was running low on power first since fuel control was out of whack.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 03-28-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 03-28-2019, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drivers side number 5 I think
Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you found your problem
Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

******* sweet man. I have had several cars come in with broken springs and so far each of them were great with just a spring swap. You are most likely fine if you just slap a spring on it.

I say sweet cause it didn't drop a valve all the way out and you likely do not have any further damage besides just that spring. But the valve is hanging open with the spring broken like that.

You can get a spring compressor at autozone and pull that spring too.

Kinda wild it broke, but it happens from time to time on stock motors.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 03-28-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Passenger seat............ Driver seat

8...................................... 7
6...................................... 5
2...................................... 1

......Radiator/front of truck

Thats the cylinder layout. By the way the truck is acting that should be an intake valve. If it isn't that's interesting.

If you're in Dallas I may be able to swing by and help you with it and bring a spring compressor.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

How high is your rev limiter?

Quick Reply: Need help dead in the parking lot P0106 code