Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Headers and Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Question Headers and Y pipe

Been tossing the idea around of headers and high flow Y pipe. Do any of you have results Track or Dyno from adding headers? My only problem I see is the noise. Cold starts with my Corsa is pretty much at the limit of noise level. I know headers and an Off Road Y would be loud but what about with high flow cats? I'd really like to break 400 wheel NA. I really don't wanna do the labor and cost of a cam to make the power.

ARH has always been followed by good reviews.

Any used sets out there?
Old 08-14-2018, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
Been tossing the idea around of headers and high flow Y pipe. Do any of you have results Track or Dyno from adding headers? My only problem I see is the noise. Cold starts with my Corsa is pretty much at the limit of noise level. I know headers and an Off Road Y would be loud but what about with high flow cats? I'd really like to break 400 wheel NA. I really don't wanna do the labor and cost of a cam to make the power.

ARH has always been followed by good reviews.

Any used sets out there?
Check out some of the videos by RPM in Maryland. Here is a Tune, CAI, and ARH on a Chevy SS to give you an idea of gains for your truck. The SS dyno pulls are at the end of the video.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

High flow cats won't do anything close to what the 3 factory cats do as far as being really really good resonators.

It's gunna be ******* loud with a corsa exhaust.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did a set of high flow kooks on a maggied LT with the corsa and it’s absolutely obnoxious!! Honestly worst setup I have ever heard in my life. I’ll try and find a vid. I had to stack 2 magnaflows in mine when I went LTs to get it livable but it’s still loud. Not sure why these are so loud but they are. They made enough of a HP difference that my wife said she can def tell SOTP
Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Well looks like LTS are not going to work. Thanks guys
Old 08-14-2018, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Imo sell the corsa, build your own 3.5” catback and do the headers
Old 08-15-2018, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I blew my cat's out 2x now. Right now all I have is a fahkin HUGE Borla round muffler and headers. No drone, nice idle, tame on the highway but you can hear it when you romp on it.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06 4.8
Imo sell the corsa, build your own 3.5” catback and do the headers
when i pulled the stock system and laid it next to the $1300 corsa... I now know why people cut the flapper valve and 3rd muffler out and run the stock system. Then you could always cut the stock muffler and replace with a magnaflow or something. This corsa sounds great but damn its expensive.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
when i pulled the stock system and laid it next to the $1300 corsa... I now know why people cut the flapper valve and 3rd muffler out and run the stock system. Then you could always cut the stock muffler and replace with a magnaflow or something. This corsa sounds great but damn its expensive.

Glad to hear that, I didn't know how the stock setup compared, but I opted to cut out the flap and have the muffler right before it swapped to a straight through, did a magnaflow and love it. I thought the last muffler in line (the one right before the end of the tail pipe) was a straight through already so I left it, do you know for sure if it is?

To make sure we are talking about the same one, I swapped the one before the axle right next to the flapper, and left the one after the axle.

As far as headers, I've heard these trucks gain a ton of power from them, and heard it from people that would know not just "well I swapped em and I think it's faster". I have every intention of running headers but I'm not gonna put up with obnoxiously loud either, so I plan on stacking mufflers or resonators and mufflers on mine.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

You gotta think corsa makes 50-70% profit on a $1,300 cat-back. When you buy piping in bulk like they do, it makes their cost rather cheap per item. They do it because they can and people buy because they have the money.

It's not like the cat-back gains much because it's basically the exact same size pipe with a muffler for sound. Neat chrome tip though.

Quick Reply: Headers and Y pipe