Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Flapper off...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
I’m highly skeptical of it but it’s worth a shot. I already average 17.5-18 so I doubt I see any better. Makes me wonder if yours was stuck closed and never able to open. That I could see having an effect on mileage.

As hard as they are to twist open, you can bet they are always closed. Mine was not stuck, it rotated, but that spring is strong and I don't see the exhaust gasses alone pushing it open, they may. But I can't see it.

I'd be skeptical of what I wrote above too. Sounds like crazy bull ****. But I saw it, and it happened.

If you're getting that high of mileage you probably wont see a lot of gain. But who knows, my buddies wife's 17 denali 6.2 still has the flap and gets 20 mpg on the regular.

You also have the bypass pipe which I don't understand having a flap and a bypass.

But hey man, it's probably $50 at most to have it cut out and it'll increase flow. To me that alone is worth it.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 763 Likes on 534 Posts

Depending on how long I can sneak away from the family before they notice I may bust out the welder this weekend.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Depending on how long I can sneak away from the family before they notice I may bust out the welder this weekend.
lol I hear that
Old 01-25-2019, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I’m highly skeptical of it but it’s worth a shot. I already average 17.5-18 so I doubt I see any better. Makes me wonder if yours was stuck closed and never able to open. That I could see having an effect on mileage.
At your earliest opportunity take it off. My flapper wasn't stuck, but that spring pressure sure requires a helluva lot of exhaust pressure to shove it open...…….
Old 01-25-2019, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's welded open currently.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill be looking at mine this weekend. Didn't realize these trucks had something like that. Just picked my new one up at then end of November.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

You guys cutting yours out, can you save me one? I'll give you a couple bucks for it, but I wanna try to mess around with it for an "active" exhaust system
Old 01-25-2019, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was going to tackle mine this weekend but just learned my in laws are coming over.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sc00by
Ill be looking at mine this weekend. Didn't realize these trucks had something like that. Just picked my new one up at then end of November.
Are you already pretty familiar with the MPG the truck gets say on a normal route? I'm curious to see what you'll see MPG wise. Again I also recommend replacing the muffler right next to the flapper because the pipe necks down there and because that muffler is chambered. The straight through magnaflow add's the slightest amount of sound where it's actually really hard to tell any change was made. But it's nice and far from annoying.

Your color truck and those wheels look damn good together btw

Originally Posted by arthursc2
You guys cutting yours out, can you save me one? I'll give you a couple bucks for it, but I wanna try to mess around with it for an "active" exhaust system
Both of mine are long gone or I would man.

Was going to tackle mine this weekend but just learned my in laws are coming over.
Sounds like a good time to come down with the flu lol. Everyone has it right now
Old 01-26-2019, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
You can have it, man. Say- I can drop it off sometime as I'm planning a trip to the boneyard in Albuquerque...………..

Quick Reply: Flapper off...........