Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Flapper off...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Son of a gun- I live in Eldorado, and starting on a mountain bike project myself. Did the Century back in 2017...…………...
Old 01-23-2019, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

well, I dont do that hahahaha

Imma a downhill/Enduro guy. I ride Angel Fire, Crested Butte, Keystone, Winter Park, etc. I ride the foothills in Abq, but only with the gf because the foothills are lame.

What is your normal steed? I am a Commencal and Intense guy myself. As a welder, I have a thing for hand welded bikes and I dont like the harshness of carbon frames so I am still rocking aluminum frames
Old 01-23-2019, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it's a GIANT Sedona SE. Don't know what year- I had a flair to build a cruiser once got a putrid green frame off eBay stripped it with aircraft remover hunted down forks and everything else went overkill painting it after priming I wet sanded with 5 then 7000 grit paper, paint/ wet sanded, paint/ wet sanded, decals clear coat wet sand, clear coat wet sand. juggled chainrings and cassettes etc and took a stab at the century for kicks...….
Old 01-23-2019, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
Here it is open, really don't like the tension needed to open that up...………….

Sorry to derail the conversation gentlemen but **** I had no clue it blocked THAT much airflow. I guess I have to do something now especially since the Whip. Really appreciate the pics! OK back to visiting
Old 01-23-2019, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I cut mine out months back (edit did a magnaflow straight through muffler at the same time). Probably the single most impactful thing I've done to my truck so far.

I noticed a very considerable amount of power pick up and MPG. Honestly, it was a big change. I now go around telling everyone to cut theirs out, and do it yesterday.

Locking the flap open alone doesn't make as much of a change as some may think, I locked mine open for a while and didn't notice much, had it removed and the biggest thing I noticed was MPG was up a lot. But I did a magnaflow straight through muffler at the same time that I had the flap removed. The stock muffler by the flap isn't a straight through.

With all the rest of the exhaust stock, and just the magnaflow and the flapper. The sound was perfect. You could hear it fire up inside the house when you remote start it and hear a low low rumble. But driving it you hear damn near nothing. At very light throttle you hear a really deep tone, roll into the throttle and it kinda goes away. I super recommend that setup for guys staying closer to stock especially if you want just a little bit of sound but zero drone and not gonna annoy the neighbors.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right, Pooter- that's what prompted me to altogether remove the flapper; I had seen pics of a flapper both closed and open and just wouldn't sleep well with it propped open leaving so much on the table...…………..
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 753 Likes on 529 Posts

Anyone documented mileage gains? I see lots but don't have anything solid. I'll be removing it when I do the headers but if it's worth enough I may chop it out early if I get a minute. Mine is welded open right now just because it whistled like crazy.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
Anyone documented mileage gains? I see lots but don't have anything solid. I'll be removing it when I do the headers but if it's worth enough I may chop it out early if I get a minute. Mine is welded open right now just because it whistled like crazy.
Whistle, haven't hear that; I've heard of squeaking from the spring rusting up and stuff. Haven't been about enough to see mileage benefits or any advantage when wringing it out, yet...…………...

Old 01-24-2019, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge

When I got my truck it was stock except it had the K&N intake on it.
It got 11 MPG on e85 mixed city and highway. And 14 on gas.

Then I got it tuned and also had the 4 cyl mode deactivated. The gas mileage stayed about the same for the most part since it picked up a little mileage in v8 mode but no longer had 4 cyl mode it kinda equaled out

The day I got the flap cut out and the flap removed was the first time I ever got 16 mpg mixed city and highway on E 85
Put gas in it and got 19

I'd like to say it gave me 5 mpg but my testing wasn't scientifically exact. And all of this was just basing the MPG off of what the dash display said, not actually hand calculating mileage and staying on the same exact roads.

On the same exact roads I saw an increase of around 3 mpg. Some tanks I average around 16 and some around 18 where before best was 14.x. That's on gas and going my everyday route to work.

Yours may end up a little different since you have the aftermarket exhaust with the flapper and flapper bypass

When I cut out the flapper and got the muffler I called my tuner and said "you're not gonna believe this but I got a good 2-3 mpg from cutting the flap out and changing the muffler" he said "yeah I will you're not the first person to tell me that". He said he put a cat back on one of these trucks and the customer called him a couple of weeks later and said he got a couple of mpg additional from it.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 753 Likes on 529 Posts

I’m highly skeptical of it but it’s worth a shot. I already average 17.5-18 so I doubt I see any better. Makes me wonder if yours was stuck closed and never able to open. That I could see having an effect on mileage.

Quick Reply: Flapper off...........