Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

"chevy shake" fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:37 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Thanks I guess I'll do the same soon as it cools off a bit more. Sure would be nice! Hope its not my axles Ive heard that too.
Yeah I have videos on YouTube of how extremely out of round the axles flanges are. One of these free days I'm going to pull them and have my machine shop turn them for me.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:38 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Now that I've driven it more, I did not cure it. Vibration below 75 seems to be gone but above it seems to still be there. Improved but not cured.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't have any vibrations when the truck was new but after 60 mine are bad. It's because I lowered it and now the driveshaft is to tight and the pinion angle is off. I'm doing all that next weekend. Hopefully it's fixed
Old 09-18-2017, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JRoyPDX
Now that I've driven it more, I did not cure it. Vibration below 75 seems to be gone but above it seems to still be there. Improved but not cured.
axles or rear end
Old 09-18-2017, 05:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCSB should have a steel DS on the truck which those are fine don't cause any issues. So it most likely the banacling the the tires alignment of could cause a shack to. Good way to tell if it's the drive line or the tires drive pasted the point of the shacking through the truck in neutral if the truck still shakes it's the tires. If it doesn't it's the drive line.

The NNBS CC and EC have a alnuminum drive shaft that was to long for the truck so after 95mph it was out of balance. I broke one in half at the track at the 1/8 mile with the truck doing 105 a few years back since then I got a custom two piece DS. The NNBS single cabs had a steel driveshaft and didn't have that problem. I don't know which one the 2017 has but either way it should be ok.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to add a little update.... tire balance and weight is a definite factor. My tires are most likely out of balance at the moment, but I swapped to coilovers and increased the dampening very close to the time I shortened the driveshaft, and found that the vibration is gone. Out of boredom, I reinstalled my McGaughy's struts, and the shake is back, and it's bad as it ever was. having the driveshaft not smashing into the trans is nice, but there is a bigger improvement with higher dampening on the front shocks. my wheel and tire combo weigh 76.5 lbs, which I'm sure is higher than the factory setup, so it feels like the stock stuff is overwhelmed..... I'd like to know if the Silverados that have 22" factory wheels use the same strut as the others. We definitely have the exact same spring as the V6 models, which is a bit weird, but anyway.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ryan Mills
I'd like to add a little update.... tire balance and weight is a definite factor. My tires are most likely out of balance at the moment, but I swapped to coilovers and increased the dampening very close to the time I shortened the driveshaft, and found that the vibration is gone. Out of boredom, I reinstalled my McGaughy's struts, and the shake is back, and it's bad as it ever was. having the driveshaft not smashing into the trans is nice, but there is a bigger improvement with higher dampening on the front shocks. my wheel and tire combo weigh 76.5 lbs, which I'm sure is higher than the factory setup, so it feels like the stock stuff is overwhelmed..... I'd like to know if the Silverados that have 22" factory wheels use the same strut as the others. We definitely have the exact same spring as the V6 models, which is a bit weird, but anyway.
which coilovers you bought ? i was thinking about it could be the fix and i can drink in my truck again
Old 10-07-2017, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I installed Rancho 9000s just to help with the bounce since the stock shocks were marginal when unloaded. It vibrated unloaded or loaded before and still does so no answers here. I have a daily weight of 5900-6000lbs loaded and with the weight it is level front to rear. Thinking Ill do axle mods and driveshaft balance at some point.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to get too far off topic ,but what coilover setup are you running Ryan Mills? Viking , qa1? Shaking out of the equation how much better is the ride with them?
Old 10-08-2017, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BCraven1018
Not to get too far off topic ,but what coilover setup are you running Ryan Mills? Viking , qa1? Shaking out of the equation how much better is the ride with them?
He's running a Viking c207 with a 10" 850lb spring using atomic fabs brackets

I'm using a different bracket setup but I ordered Viking 205 coilovers since I'm lower. And I'll be using an 800lb 9" spring