Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Broke an engine mount, wanted to know what's inside. Lot's of big pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by someotherguy
If the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet, great opportunity for -someone- to design some and fab 'em up. Old school style, metal brackets that interlock without touching, and sandwich 'em in some high durometer polyurethane. All that engineering wizardry in the stock mounts has gotta be to keep vibrations down, but it's nuts. Maybe on paper from a damn seismograph they work well but we see how they do in the real world.

Richard
Fully agree man. Sam (long time friend and owner of AMP) developed engine mounts for corvettes cause they were having problems with the high power cars ripping the mounts in half and too much movement in general, if they did more trucks I bet he would do a set for them too. But we will have to give it time, the truck mod market is getting bigger and bigger, there will be someone at some point that picks it up I bet. But we will have to wait a while as these trucks get a little older and more people start modding them.

I'm really curious what LMR is using on their 1400 hp truck and what ta7akum is doing on their 9 sec trucks. But guys like that don't like giving out info for free, I don't blame them either. I haven't tried asking either.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 763 Likes on 534 Posts

I think atomic said he'd be willing if someone sent him some mounts to mock up off of.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

If I had 1400hp under the hood the engine would be attached to the frame with a motor plate! I wouldn't trust even a set of fabbed solid steel mounts bolted in a position where the bolts could rip out under torque.

Richard
Old 03-29-2019, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
I think atomic said he'd be willing if someone sent him some mounts to mock up off of.
I wonder if he can use this trashed one lol.

And wait, if he owns a business and gonna make money off the mounts, how come I gotta supply the mounts? (I get where he's coming from though, not enough of them will be sold for a while to recoop his investment into it since they won't sell like crazy probably ever)

Originally Posted by someotherguy
If I had 1400hp under the hood the engine would be attached to the frame with a motor plate! I wouldn't trust even a set of fabbed solid steel mounts bolted in a position where the bolts could rip out under torque.

Richard
I hear that, but with my bank account I'm not gonna have to worry about that happening lol
Old 03-29-2019, 02:21 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I actually have poly mounts for 99-14 trucks I've been selling for over a year, and also have one designed and built for the gen5 direct injected engines I've had finished for months I just need someone to test fit them for me and verify fitment. If you want to do that I will make you a great deal. I've sold hundreds of my mounts of both styles and never broken a single one.
The following users liked this post:
someotherguy (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 02:32 PM
I have a gauge for that

AFP Gen5 14+ poly motor mounts
Old 03-29-2019, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atomic
I actually have poly mounts for 99-14 trucks I've been selling for over a year, and also have one designed and built for the gen5 direct injected engines I've had finished for months I just need someone to test fit them for me and verify fitment. If you want to do that I will make you a great deal. I've sold hundreds of my mounts of both styles and never broken a single one.
God damn those look good! I may be game for testing them out, I like taking my truck apart and putting it back together lately.

I have headers too and may have to take you up on the offer, if I do I can give you an idea on fitment there too. So far I know it's a bitch to change the driver mount with headers.

I made the assumption they may not sell all that great, I forgot the 07-13 trucks use almost an identical mount and those are being modded like crazy.

Sucks I just dropped $100 on a mount and now I'm fixing to PM you about the poly ones.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:37 PM
I have a gauge for that

Yea the gen5 trucks are more difficult to change than the 07-13 trucks. The main reason these are fluid filled is to damnpen the engine when DOD kicks on.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atomic
Yea the gen5 trucks are more difficult to change than the 07-13 trucks. The main reason these are fluid filled is to damnpen the engine when DOD kicks on.
I've changed so many on the 07-13 that I can now do them in an hour and a half, not even rushing. Calls for 7 hours to do them. Doing mine were very similar and I feel like if I didn't have headers it would have came out easily. But, I haven't tried a 14+ with stock manifolds yet.

And the DOD thing makes sense, appreciate that info. I did PM you and I'm going to lunch finally so if you respond I'll get back to you in an hour or so.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:50 PM
I have a gauge for that

Yep just responded back. I think the 4wd stuff might get in the way ok gen5 trucks where it doesn't on the 07-13s. My mounts for the 07-13 trucks are the last ones you would ever need to buy for those

Quick Reply: Broke an engine mount, wanted to know what's inside. Lot's of big pictures