Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Broke an engine mount, wanted to know what's inside. Lot's of big pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Broke an engine mount, wanted to know what's inside. Lot's of big pictures

Believe it or not I had already drained a decent amount of fluid from it before starting.

I wouldn't recommend doing this, it makes a huge mess. But if you're as curious as I am you probably will. Looks like it actually functions like a shock. I knew it was hydraulic but I've always wondered why. Now I see it has a valve in there, so it must be a dampener.

This is one complicated POS

The following users liked this post:
Feed (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Couple more

Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 763 Likes on 534 Posts

How the hell did you break an engine mount?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Engineers Gone Wild!

Richard
Old 03-27-2019, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a redesigned engine mount that they starting installing in January of 2017. Do you know if your mounts have been replaced already? I wonder if this is the new or old design
Old 03-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The Japanese and Euro car manufactures have been using this style of mount for a while.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
How the hell did you break an engine mount?
I use my right foot like a hammer on the gas pedal.

LOL, honestly man I think it was just time. It has 130k on it. I actually had no idea it was broken until I started chasing an issue I had with it being down on power. The driver side header was barely hitting the frame and pulling timing. So I started looking at things and had someone goose it while it was in drive and on the brakes and the motor jumped up. I drove it that way for at least a few months and never noticed it. It's the only time I've driven a vehicle with a broken mount and didn't feel it. There is a large rubber pad on top of the part that stretches out and meets the end of the mount, so when it's broken it doesn't slam like most broken mounts. Also, since 2007, the engine mounts in these truck break like tooth picks. I put them in the 07-13 trucks all the time, even in grandpa trucks.

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Engineers Gone Wild!

Richard
LOL for sure man

Originally Posted by qwank
There's a redesigned engine mount that they starting installing in January of 2017. Do you know if your mounts have been replaced already? I wonder if this is the new or old design
I do not know for sure and I just heard that a couple of days ago. This truck had all maintenance and repairs on the carfax (was a one owner truck that went to one shop that reports every service to carfax even flipping flat repairs and the K&N intake) and I saw nothing about mounts. I'll change the passenger side one some day since it's supposed to help with vibration at idle. I got the driver side one directly from the main dealership hub here in Dallas so it should be the updated one. I hope.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The Japanese and Euro car manufactures have been using this style of mount for a while.
Yeah I've replaced many of them. They usually puke out all in the engine bay and it's a nasty affair, this one didn't leak a drop until it hit the ground. I was super happy about that.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I'm pretty sure the ones in the modern Mopars are full of raw sewage for hydraulic dampening effect...this is on the 6.1 in my old 300C SRT8, sold that car and have a much lower mile example now. No doo-doo leaking from the engine mounts yet. The accepted solution for this is to use the solid style mounts from a 6 speed Challenger SRT8.

Richard
Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL at doo doo leaking.

I hate that ****. I wish there was a solid option, or no doo doo option for my truck.

And okay, I when I said I use my foot like a hammer on the gas pedal, I actually do. Me and the wife looked at brand spanking new trucks and I opted for a high mileage used truck because I want to mod it and **** with it. So I drive the **** out of it sometimes. Not like stupid abuse, but like it's a race car lol. So, I may break a mount here and there. No biggie. Saved 30k buying this truck so I can afford to break things.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet, great opportunity for -someone- to design some and fab 'em up. Old school style, metal brackets that interlock without touching, and sandwich 'em in some high durometer polyurethane. All that engineering wizardry in the stock mounts has gotta be to keep vibrations down, but it's nuts. Maybe on paper from a damn seismograph they work well but we see how they do in the real world.

Richard

Quick Reply: Broke an engine mount, wanted to know what's inside. Lot's of big pictures