Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Best deal on a truck?

Old 03-16-2017, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best deal on a truck?

Hey guys....I'm currently leasing a 2016 Silverado SLT. I decided to lease for the first time because I was worried about the oil consumption issue with the motors and was hoping when my lease was up that it would be fixed...or look at something else.

I've always bought my trucks new - I get the GM employee discount, so most of the times, it doesn't cost me much more to get a brand new truck, over a gently used one.

I've been getting a new truck every 2-3 years lately and when my lease is up, I want to get a truck and keep it until the wheels fall off. (But with all of the salt in Ohio, that might not be that long).

So I'm trying to figure out my options...I figure I can:
1) Buy a new truck and keep it this time
2) Fly down South and buy a used truck with no rust on it
3) Buy a lightly modified truck (i.e. would a new set of heads fix the oil consumption issue?) etc.

I'm cautious of used trucks because you never know how they were taken care of unless you're lucky enough to find the one that has every dealership record with it.

I don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles (less than 10,000 / year)...I'm even tempted to get a diesel but I don't think it's worth the hassle to get a diesel for as little as I drive, the cold weather and the fact that the salt would probably kill the body long before the engine would give me troubles. I guess I've just always wanted a diesel truck...just because.

Any thoughts on the best way to get a good (newer) reliable truck, for a great price? I know that's everyone's goal and I also know that used vehicle prices are very high right now.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

I haven't heard of really anyone complaining of the EcoTech 3 motors burning oil like the older GEN 4 V8's like the LMG and LC9 motors.

Is yours burning a lot of oil?

Disabling the AFM/DoD would likely help it.

Being this is opinion based, you'd never find me buying a truck new. They charge way too much for too little. Buying a mid range 1500 should not cost $40,000 now and a nice loaded truck is damn near $55,000-60,000 for a friggin half ton. Let someone else take the first hit and buy a certified pre-owned truck for far less. If you wash your vehicles on the regular and wax/polish this a few times a year they should last a long time even with salt. Come to Minnesota if you want salt and **** roads, that crap will eat stuff alive if you let it.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have 6,000 miles on my truck at the moment so it's not using any oil (for now?).

I've bought new because of my employee discount. I can get the loaded up truck for the price of a mid range 1500. (I agree, still way to much) but when you look at nice used trucks (at least around where I live), you might only save a few thousand versus buying new.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've only see a handfull of these engines come in burning oil. and it's not a lot of oil, but customers like to make a big deal out of everything.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best prices in the country that I'm aware of, fly and drive home

St Louis Area Buick & GMC Dealer | Laura Buick GMC
Old 03-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FFDP
Being this is opinion based, you'd never find me buying a truck new. They charge way too much for too little. Buying a mid range 1500 should not cost $40,000 now and a nice loaded truck is damn near $55,000-60,000 for a friggin half ton.
nobody pays msrp

msrp is a joke on these trucks, just a completely fabricated number so that the dealers can be like "look I can give you $5 grand off right now"

In reality, you can pick up a loaded 6.2 for low 40's
Old 03-17-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

But everyone pays tax, that was more my point.

Sure the truck comes with $11,000 off MSRP after all is said and done to bring the truck down a good chunk but then you have to pay the tax and fee's on it. Depending state vehicle tax that could add another $2500-4,000 give or take.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FFDP
But everyone pays tax, that was more my point.

Sure the truck comes with $11,000 off MSRP after all is said and done to bring the truck down a good chunk but then you have to pay the tax and fee's on it. Depending state vehicle tax that could add another $2500-4,000 give or take.
used vehicles are taxed as well

my point is that if you look at the depreciation schedule, maintenance schedules, and wear and tear of these trucks, it's really not a bad move at all to buy them brand new, assuming you pay close to laura GMC pricing
Old 03-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

1st I've heard of oil consumption issues. I have 25k on mine and no issue.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Zman82
nobody pays msrp

msrp is a joke on these trucks, just a completely fabricated number so that the dealers can be like "look I can give you $5 grand off right now"

In reality, you can pick up a loaded 6.2 for low 40's
Exactly. The MSRP is in inflated fallacy. They run commercials all day long for 20% off.

A fully loaded out 2500 Denali duramax for 59k. That's a great value for what you get, IMO.

Search this Thread