Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

New Sierra 6.2 Shopping

Old 09-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Sierra 6.2 Shopping

I've been on the fence of possibly purchasing a new truck. I currently own a 2012 Sierra SLE extended cab NHT 6.2, with just over 60K miles. I love the truck but the northeast winters are killing it, frame looks terrible with surface rust and the rear drivers side fender I've noticed is just starting to bubble. It needs tires and brakes as well which isn't a big deal but it adds up. I figure it might be a good time to get rid of it before getting into rust repairs and other miscellaneous maintenance items.

Anyways I'm looking at a new 2017 SLT Double Cab Z71 with the 6.2. The MSRP is $51,205, which is about $10K more than the MSRP was on my current truck when I bought it in 2012 (Ouch!). How much off the sticker should I be able to pick up this truck for? I hear of some people getting as much as 20% off the sticker price. I also need to factor in my trade and hope to get avg. NADA pricing. Is there a better time to buy than now? The '18's are on the lot so I figure they have got to be giving decent deals on the '17's

How is everyone liking the new 6.2 with the 8spd vs the NNBS 6.2 with the 6spd?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 17' GMC SLT 3:23 6.2 Z71 8-speed yesterday. I had a 2010 2wd NHT 3:42 GMC Sierra prior. I'll tell you exactly how I feel about it. I regret getting the new truck. I miss my old truck. In particular the way it drove. This new truck feels like a turd at part throttle. The old truck felt eager to go anytime. When you get on the new truck going down the road it feels pretty good but there's no comparison at the tip in power my old truck had. My old truck was stock with the one exception being it had Kooks long tube headers and high flow cats. I miss the sound and power. On the flip side, the interior on the new one is lightyears ahead of my old truck. It is way more comfortable, much quieter, gets better mileage, and has an abundance of tech goodies. Also, I will add that the HD Denali front I put on my old truck looked a thousand times better than any new GMC that I've seen. I got 5500 knocked off the sticker. Too me that's just OK. I didn't push them and can only blame myself on that one.

Last edited by ramairroughneck; 09-28-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8 spd in my pinion is not good. I have a 16 ltz 6.2 8spd and a 16 lt regular cab 5.3 6spd. I don't even touch the ltz
Old 09-28-2017, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

There are still problems with some of the 8 speed transmissions so you are taking a gamble on that. I also read about a lot of electrical problems. I believe the new promotions come out next week. I ordered my '15 and got around 17% off sticker in April of that year. Dealers are definitely trying to move what they have left on the lot towards the end of the year, but it's slim pickings and dealers are reluctant to trade with another dealer to get you what you want.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

When i make the jump, itll probably be a used one. let someone lease it for 3 years and ill pick up the used model. The aftermarket should be solid and the tech behind all the new stuff should be ironed out. These new trucks are so expensive because they have every option. Here in NY, April/MAY had 20% msrp for LT models thats a decent chunk
Old 09-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
I just bought a 17' GMC SLT 3:23 6.2 Z71 8-speed yesterday. I had a 2010 2wd NHT 3:42 GMC Sierra prior. I'll tell you exactly how I feel about it. I regret getting the new truck. I miss my old truck. In particular the way it drove. This new truck feels like a turd at part throttle. The old truck felt eager to go anytime. When you get on the new truck going down the road it feels pretty good but there's no comparison at the tip in power my old truck had.
This is exactly what a tune fixes.

From a "normal driving and how the motor reacts to throttle inputs" perspective, it feels like you took out a v6 and installed a big block

Also, the l86/lt1 is up there with one of the best sounding v8's ever built once you uncork it. I rented a camaro for a week and every time I cold started it I couldn't believe I had the same motor lurking under the hood of my truck.

Last edited by Zman82; 09-29-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99RebelZ28
I've been on the fence of possibly purchasing a new truck. I currently own a 2012 Sierra SLE extended cab NHT 6.2, with just over 60K miles. I love the truck but the northeast winters are killing it, frame looks terrible with surface rust and the rear drivers side fender I've noticed is just starting to bubble. It needs tires and brakes as well which isn't a big deal but it adds up. I figure it might be a good time to get rid of it before getting into rust repairs and other miscellaneous maintenance items.

Anyways I'm looking at a new 2017 SLT Double Cab Z71 with the 6.2. The MSRP is $51,205, which is about $10K more than the MSRP was on my current truck when I bought it in 2012 (Ouch!). How much off the sticker should I be able to pick up this truck for? I hear of some people getting as much as 20% off the sticker price. I also need to factor in my trade and hope to get avg. NADA pricing. Is there a better time to buy than now? The '18's are on the lot so I figure they have got to be giving decent deals on the '17's

How is everyone liking the new 6.2 with the 8spd vs the NNBS 6.2 with the 6spd?
Laura GMC, either fly there and drive home, or atleast use their prices to negotiate with local dealers.

They won't give you much for trade-in, so would just need to sell private party.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got 10k knocked off my 2017 GMC CC Denali 6.2L/3.23 8 speed 2WD.The 6.2 is no joke!!! Both my brothers have 2017 CC with the 5.3L/3.42 6 speed and there is a lot of difference in the power especially on take off.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I would wait and avoid the 8 speed myself. I had one and it was junk lol... Gm never fixed it so I sold the truck. The 10 speed is coming and is currently behind the 3.5 Ecoboost. I have driven a few now and they seem pretty nice... plus after a year the big Ford forums aren't littered with "my transmission sucks" like with the 8L90e. This is all provided GM doesn't screw it up for themselves... which they may very well do lol.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
I would wait and avoid the 8 speed myself. I had one and it was junk lol... Gm never fixed it so I sold the truck. The 10 speed is coming and is currently behind the 3.5 Ecoboost. I have driven a few now and they seem pretty nice... plus after a year the big Ford forums aren't littered with "my transmission sucks" like with the 8L90e. This is all provided GM doesn't screw it up for themselves... which they may very well do lol.
Its crazy that so many people dislike the 8 speed on the trucks.

It’s the same trans on the camaro and corvette, which I drove, and it is incredible.

There has to be a way to make it perform like it does in those cars.

It’s a pretty amazing trans, I’m thinking in the long term the aftermarket will do some great things with it.

Search this Thread