Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Any noticeable gains in MPG from anything you've tried? Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Either some people have 10x better hearing that I do because rarely can I ever hear ping unless it's some old school engine that can't yank ignition timing in a fraction of a second upon spark knock.

I can't hear it knock on 87 in my truck but it does anyway, then does little to none on 89 octane. Half time it's lifter/rocker clatter that sound exactly the same to me.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Either some people have 10x better hearing that I do because rarely can I ever hear ping unless it's some old school engine that can't yank ignition timing in a fraction of a second upon spark knock.

I can't hear it knock on 87 in my truck but it does anyway, then does little to none on 89 octane. Half time it's lifter/rocker clatter that sound exactly the same to me.
mine do it on stock tune it will knock in wot constantly , after tuned no knock
Old 02-01-2018, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Im the same way. I can tell when its knocking if its bad because I feel it, especially big/high overlap cams at idle. Otherwise, cant tell **** unless we are plugged into the truck with known good KR sensors.

In my Toyota endeavors, the KR either sucks so bad, or the damn thing just KRs all the time, because its always like 20-40cts but I can never hear or feel it.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

It's probably just that you don't hear it all the damn time like I do so you haven't developed the ear for it. I've been a tech for 20 years so I've heard it hundreds of times. I have to distinguish all kinds of noises on a daily basis so i'm just used to it.

Lifter noise is a slightly heavier sound, like a tick/clack, and usually a less rapid noise. Ping is a lighter sound, a clatter type sound, and usually really rapid. Bottom end bearings for example are usually a clunk/knock.

In the 2000's I had tons of Fords come through that pinged, they do it really commonly and a carbon clean helps them stop, but thanks to them I have that keen sense for the sound now.

When diagnosing sounds and vibrations you also have to consider the speed of it to help narrow the source, and how heavy the metal clunk sound, sounds. Typically lifter and bearing knocks are slower speed than pre ignition because you will usually only have one bad lifter or bearing. If you ever replace an entire set of lifters on initial start it'll sound more similar to ping because all of the lifters are ticking. Bad bottom end bearings are a deeper louder clunk than a lifter tick because it's the rod banging the crank instead of the push rod banging the lifter. Pre ignition tends to hit all cylinders at the same time so it'll be very rapid clattering under acceleration only. That's also how you usually know it's pre ignition/spark knock/ping, it happens under acceleration/revving.

I just watched about 15 videos on youtube that were labeled spark knock and ping and none of them showed the sound to where you could hear it, and most were actually engine knocks and not ping.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Boost-freak
mine do it on stock tune it will knock in wot constantly , after tuned no knock
On your 14 truck I assume?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
there aint a handheld out there that can do that... lol... handheld... hah
I know, and I'd never consider doing one. I want a real tune.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did have quite a bit of knock at WOT on the stock tune, once I started playing with the tune that went away... I never really gave it a second thought.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone use the plex tool for mapping combustion frequency?
Old 02-03-2018, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On my 2017 Silverado Double Cab Z71 I ran both 93 and e85 and was going for performance and mpg was not a concern. With my 93 tune I average 19mpg and on a trip from Michigan to Kentucky and back I averaged 22mpg. I run e85 for the performance gains. I average 13 mpg and on a trip to Chicago and back I average 16mpg with e85. That is with AFM disabled. With the cost of 93 here versus e85 even with the MPG loss I still save money using e85 which is a bonus since I run e85 for the performance. Now in a week it won't matter being the truck is getting a Circle D 3200 rpm converter installed. Klug Performance HP Tuners tune on my truck btw.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the math a few times when I had my '14, it was cheaper to run the 87 in mine than the E84, even though E85 was almost $1 cheaper per gallon... that added power came with a pretty heavy penalty!

Quick Reply: Any noticeable gains in MPG from anything you've tried? Headers?