Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

the all new silverado 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
That's what I've been wondering, here I see people saying they are junk but AMP is pushing over 1400 to the tires through a stock 8 speed in their shop car. And they have built many at over 1000 that hold up and keep holding. I'm sure some have had issues but their are a lot that have been going for a very long time at really high power levels.
Exactly
Old 05-23-2018, 06:36 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Zman82
What I don’t understand is why it’s so awesome in the camaro’s and vettes. I realize they have failure rates too, but as far as performance goes, jesus, the 8l90 renewed my faith in automatics. The 1-2 shift feels like you were rear ended by a bus.
Most people don't want shifts like that. I agree, I prefer shifts where the ratio change is as instant as possible and it feels like a kick in the pants. But if I were a manufacturer and built transmissions how I like them, I wouldn't sell many cars. Not to mention...a shift like that is mechanically inefficient.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I've been wondering, here I see people saying they are junk but AMP is pushing over 1400 to the tires through a stock 8 speed in their shop car. And they have built many at over 1000 that hold up and keep holding. I'm sure some have had issues but their are a lot that have been going for a very long time at really high power levels.
Yeah they screwed something up in the truck, that’s for sure.

I still remember driving that camaro SS for the first time. I hadn’t driven the 6.2 8sp truck yet. The first time I go WOT I’m like “holy crap this is the same motor I have but the trans is incredible” I was so pissed I had the one year of the 6.2/6l80

8l90 has a much higher factory torque rating, and it doesn’t need to cut power during the shift. How GM managed to screw up solid gold hardware in the truck is laughable.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Most people don't want shifts like that. I agree, I prefer shifts where the ratio change is as instant as possible and it feels like a kick in the pants. But if I were a manufacturer and built transmissions how I like them, I wouldn't sell many cars. Not to mention...a shift like that is mechanically inefficient.
That’s the thing, the camaro doesn’t shift like that under normal driving. It’s only at WOT. They could easily tune the trucks like that and it would be fine.

It does not feel like an old built 4l80 that is a violent shift. It’s tough to explain. Sure it’s fast, but it doesn’t feel like it’s doing damage, it feels like it’s super smooth and fast.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a feeling it's solely tuning issues.

If I had a 8 speed the first thing I would do is let Sam work his magic on it like he does on all my ****.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

I have a feeling it's solely tuning issues.

If I had a 8 speed the first thing I would do is let Sam work his magic on it like he does on all my ****.
I dont know sam, but you have to consider even if his iq rivals einstein, and people like justin from black bear was on par with forest gump, black bear would still do a better job just because of experience of tuning so many of them.

As far as I understand it’s still not amazing no matter how you tune it
Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know sam, but you have to consider even if his iq rivals einstein, and people like justin from black bear was on par with forest gump, black bear would still do a better job just because of experience of tuning so many of them.

You must not know that these DI engines and the new style of trans are WAYY different then the old school stuff and I would absolutely put my trust in smmeone “smart” who has proven to be able to build several of these new LT DI vehicles vs someone “experienced” in the older style engine/trans.

Well you understood wrong... the 8 spd in my truck is tuned and i really don’t know if it could be any better. The shifts are immediate and no lagging.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

No disrespect to you or BB but BB cant touch Sam on 6-8 spds or high hp rides. Pretty sure nothing else either.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I think he was kinda saying that BB was dumb dumb with the forest gump reference. If so I agree with the dumb dumb part.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 AM
TECH Resident

That’s the thing, the camaro doesn’t shift like that under normal driving. It’s only at WOT. They could easily tune the trucks like that and it would be fine.

It does not feel like an old built 4l80 that is a violent shift. It’s tough to explain. Sure it’s fast, but it doesn’t feel like it’s doing damage, it feels like it’s super smooth and fast.
Exactly. Camaros & Vettes have a performance mode programming set. When the car detects more aggressive driving, it uses this performance mode. Shifts quicker, holds in gear longer, etc. It is pretty sloppy when driving normally tho.

Also, this is the same trans behind the ZO6, so you know it's rateed for at least 650/650.

Quick Reply: the all new silverado 2019