Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Aftermarket l83 heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket l83 heads

I have a 15 Sierra ccsb 4x4 with a 5.3. Engine has a Frankenstein cam, afm delete, 1 7/8 tsp headers, 4 inch exhaust, 6.2 intake manifold and throttle body and cai. I have a circle d 278mm 3200 converter on the way. I am just trying to go full bolt ons and be done with the truck and I am wondering if anyone has an experience with using ported heads such as Frankenstein or tsp. They run about 1200 bucks and they claim about 25hp gain. Anyone have any real world testing with head work on these engines? I am probably going to go the Frankenstein route since they did such a great job with the cam and customer service is second to none but as I said curious on actual gains. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2018, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I'm curious as well. I had asked them for flow #'s but no response yet. Must not have flowed them yet I guess.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 AM
Launching!

I work away from home so when I get home next Friday I am going to scramble to get my converter installed and tuned and try to hit the track Sunday if weather permits. Once I get some good runs in I may buy the heads and install them when I’m home the nextt time and run it to compare slips. 20-25hp claims with a stock cam I’d hope to maybe get a little more considering I have a cam, bigger intake and throttle body and big exhaust.

Last edited by asap216; 09-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

You've got some great ideas. Really interested in how she does. What track?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Probably the one in Denton or red oak texas
Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

How did you like each of those mods? I would think each of them would sacrifice a little low end in exchange for good top end.

What does it run now?

I have a 5.3 2wd and going to do headers next and look for a used 6.2 exhaust.

I have no experience with heads on these things but I've been wondering about that too.

I'm debating on throwing go fast parts at the 5.3 or just getting a 6.2 but I'm hard leaning toward just doing a 6.2 now instead of doing anything to the 5.3, should be cheaper to go faster going that route.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 09-06-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
How did you like each of those mods? I would think each of them would sacrifice a little low end in exchange for good top end.

What does it run now?

I have a 5.3 2wd and going to do headers next and look for a used 6.2 exhaust.

I have no experience with heads on these things but I've been wondering about that too.

I'm debating on throwing go fast parts at the 5.3 or just getting a 6.2 but I'm hard leaning toward just doing a 6.2 now instead of doing anything to the 5.3, should be cheaper to go faster going that route.
man this is a fun truck for what it is. I don’t have any numbers but back when I did the cam swap the truck made 399whp and like 380 ft/lb of torque. But when I did the swap I accidentally timed the cam incorrect, I know dumb mistake, that was number was with the 6.2 intake and tb, cam and shitty 3 inch exhaust with a bunch of exhaust leaks at the y pipe so it was throwing off the o2 sensors. I recently installed v bands on the header collectors and the end of the y pipe so no more leaks and the truck feels way stronger after getting it retuned. And honestly I feel like it’s stronger all through the rpm range. This truck was gutless on the bottom end stock but now it moves out pretty good and the converter will help even more. If you do decide to do mods I strongly suggest using Frankenstein for the custom spec’d cam. It makes great power, fairly tame idle, it idles at 725 with zero issues of it surging or anything and fuel economy is still good on the highway.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by asap216

man this is a fun truck for what it is. I don’t have any numbers but back when I did the cam swap the truck made 399whp and like 380 ft/lb of torque. But when I did the swap I accidentally timed the cam incorrect, I know dumb mistake, that was number was with the 6.2 intake and tb, cam and shitty 3 inch exhaust with a bunch of exhaust leaks at the y pipe so it was throwing off the o2 sensors. I recently installed v bands on the header collectors and the end of the y pipe so no more leaks and the truck feels way stronger after getting it retuned. And honestly I feel like it’s stronger all through the rpm range. This truck was gutless on the bottom end stock but now it moves out pretty good and the converter will help even more. If you do decide to do mods I strongly suggest using Frankenstein for the custom spec’d cam. It makes great power, fairly tame idle, it idles at 725 with zero issues of it surging or anything and fuel economy is still good on the highway.

Thanks for the info man, that's good numbers considering the issues you were having.

Do you know the specs of the cam?

And I keep seeing more and more positive reviews about Frankenstein so they are definitely on my list.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:29 PM
Launching!

I honestly can’t remmeber the specs exactly and I lost the cam card but it was something in the area of 216/228 and .610/.580 or something like that. Yeah they are top notch people for sure. I am kinda thinking about stepping up to a bigger cam from them so when I go buy the heads I may go see what they suggest on that. And it’s awesome they are only an hour from my house!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by asap216
I honestly can’t remmeber the specs exactly and I lost the cam card but it was something in the area of 216/228 and .610/.580 or something like that. Yeah they are top notch people for sure. I am kinda thinking about stepping up to a bigger cam from them so when I go buy the heads I may go see what they suggest on that. And it’s awesome they are only an hour from my house!
Cool, no biggie, I was just curious.

I hear ya, i'm in Dallas and want an excuse to stop by and check the place out.

Careful going much bigger on the cam, most people end up hating it if they put much of a cam in a 5.3, loses low end pretty bad.

When you did the cam, did you do anything with the oil pump or timing chain? Did you just pull the grill, radiator and condenser to swap it? Or can any of that stay in?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket l83 heads