Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

welding the open diff carrier in a BW4485 AWD T-case??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I have a 241, with a console, with the oem shift handle and bezel. Honestly making it fit was (in my opinion) far easier than pulling apart a t case and welding a diff that may or may not even have spiders to weld up.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Your will and way is not what I would suggest, my will and way wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Carry on soldier, best of luck to you.
It has a planetary diff.

If i end up wanting to make a serious trail rig out of this one, it would involve a dodge front D60, an 11.5" 14-bolt, stretched wheelbase instead of cutting sheet metal, and bumpers. But I'd rather just start with one of my square bodies if i going to build something that hardcore.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rumblebox
The only real concern i have is sending the stabilitrac into flip-out mode when the front diff is disengaged.
I doubt it will care. I have a Detroit locker in the back of my 17 and I know it's a different scenario but not really. I was concerned the stability control would flip as no matter what the rear is locked side to side. It surprisingly works better in my opinion mostly because it just intervenes less as if it applies one rear brake
it locks the other side up no matter the speed or whether it's under power or coasting. I have tried it all in the snow and the stabilitrack doesn't lock both rears up surprisingly nor does it freak out either.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Could try wiring the rear wheel speed sensors to the front sensor circuits and leaving the fronts disconnected. Not sure if there are any stabilitrak diagnostics looking for certain circuit impedance, but if it poses an issue that would be fixable as well.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My stabilitrac has been disabled since I did a rear axle swap (14 bolt into nnbs 07 silverado)

“service stabilitrac” blinks in the information box, goes away after two clicks

traction control and abs light remain on 100% of the time

it bothers everyone everyone who rides in the truck but me, cause I’d rather see yellow lights than be stranded by a 10 bolt

basically, figure out your priorities
Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Oh yah, I lost rear abs too, but I can drive like a normal person on the streets so I’m still unaffected
Old 01-08-2019, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mconcha
Oh yah, I lost rear abs too, but I can drive like a normal person on the streets so I’m still unaffected
Which 14 bolt did you use? The new ones should use the same sensors, no?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

rumblebox

Have you tried backing up a slippery surface on a slight cant. Last year with my 08 Denali sierra I almost got stuck trying to back up a snowy driveway. It was just barely up hill but on a slight angle. As soon as the truck would start to slide to the left in reverse, it would kick out of AWD and only use the rear tires to pull. RWD in 8" of snow trying to go backwards up a hill was useless. If I wouldn't of been able to go forward I would have bee screwed. I had to drive all the way down a long steep driveway turn around and park forward. I found out later that if you pull the ABS fuse it will eliminate this problem.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Default It's Solvable

Mconcha, you should be able to get those features back but not sure which axle and year you used.

To the OP, why not replace your transfer case with a MP3023 and a 4WD front differential and the relevant programming? You're basically turning your Denali into a 2009 Tahoe with the 6.2, a unicorn of which about 600 were built.

You can then run around in 2WD and engage the front diff when needed and even pick up a 4LO capability. Save for labor and programming, the hard parts will probably be a wash when buying the new stuff and selling your old.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:15 PM
Launching!

It’s a 2007 nnbs vmax semi float 14 bolt with drum brakes. If you find one that’s 09+ it will have disks. I wanted to keep my drums (which is what the 07 came with) so it was a direct swap. I can get my functions back but it honestly never bothered me.
Not a priority then, still isn’t now.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE: I tore down the transfer case to replace the bearings, seals, and chain only to find teeth missing from the output sun gear and one of the planetary gears. So this went from being just a simple "what if" idea to being an actual project. Stand by for a build thread.

Quick Reply: welding the open diff carrier in a BW4485 AWD T-case??