Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

welding the open diff carrier in a BW4485 AWD T-case??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default welding the open diff carrier in a BW4485 AWD T-case??

Despite a bunch of people bitching about the capability of the 07 Denali AWD system, it actually works extremely well offroad.... IF you don't break a u-joint, CV joint, front diff, etc. Having an open diff transfer case without the ability to lock it front:back makes for a very unreliable vehicle. So far, I've been really impressed with its ability to crawl in and out of washed out sandy creeks and up goat trails I don't even want to walk up in West Texas, but a broken CV left me stranded in the middle of town after a hairy launch.

Without giving the stabilitrac a hissy fit, would it be logical to cleanly weld up the carrier, like you would for spider gears, and install a selectable front diff on a manual actuator switch just to help with MPG and keep from wearing out tires on turns? It makes enough torque to not need low range, and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than downgrading to an SLT 4wd and swapping in a 6.2. Like i said, it does well off road, but I'm always concerned about being immediately stranded if i smoke a CV joint again or a U-joint. I'm about to freshen up the T-case anyway since it's starting to make noise at 200k miles.

These vids are pretty lame, but the hill in the background has a trail i climbed a few times with minimal wheelspin

Last edited by rumblebox; 12-30-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I can tell just by watching the vids and listening to throttle input you would benefit from a low range

and real tires

and real bumpers
Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I can tell just by watching the vids and listening to throttle input you would benefit from a low range

and real tires

and real bumpers
The throttle input was no more than 20%. Yea, low range would be great, but you should know that's not a simple swap in a 2007+. It's not a serious enough trail truck to go through that kind of trouble.

The tires are 305 AT's. If they were more aggressive, i would dig down in the sand and have a hard time. I'm simply not changing the bumpers, because it's daily driven, and the gas mileage is terrible enough.

Last edited by rumblebox; 12-30-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Then I guess you probably shouldn't weld the center diff either.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Then I guess you probably shouldn't weld the center diff either.
Great logic. Avoid the simple solution actually related to my topic, but tackle the most expensive ones i didn't ask about.
The following users liked this post:
Sharty_McQueef (03-20-2021)
Old 12-30-2018, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Why don't you just do it then and do a write up on how it works? I doubt anyone else will have any real input as it is safe to say you will be the first person to ever do it. What's the worst case.... you have to rebuild or replace the t case if it's a fail.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Why don't you just do it then and do a write up on how it works? I doubt anyone else will have any real input as it is safe to say you will be the first person to ever do it. What's the worst case.... you have to rebuild or replace the t case if it's a fail.
The only real concern i have is sending the stabilitrac into flip-out mode when the front diff is disengaged.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

From your own post:
A) it's not a trail rig aka 99% street
B) fuel mileage sucks (so why make it worse?)
C) you're not willing to put real tires or bumpers on it
D) a 32 spline 241 swap is "too hard"
E) it's not a trail rig
F) make it street rig or a trail rig. Don't half *** one for the other
G) you have already broken it, on the street

be mad at me all you want man, I'm not the enemy here. The only one of us lacking logic is you. And before you come at me with this that and the other, that arroyo you were in is child's play and you already had problems and drug the front bumper.

I have a locked and leafed Toyota on 35s, a K10 with 1tons and 38s and I have a mildly built Tahoe with an H2 rear and some other goodies built for getting me where I wanna go. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to off road stuff. Plus, you yourself said your Yukon is not a trail rig, so why make it one? Great logic.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

From your own post:
A) it's not a trail rig aka 99% street
B) fuel mileage sucks (so why make it worse?)
C) you're not willing to put real tires or bumpers on it
D) a 32 spline 241 swap is "too hard"
E) it's not a trail rig
F) make it street rig or a trail rig. Don't half *** one for the other
G) you have already broken it, on the street

be mad at me all you want man, I'm not the enemy here. The only one of us lacking logic is you. And before you come at me with this that and the other, that arroyo you were in is child's play and you already had problems and drug the front bumper.

I have a locked and leafed Toyota on 35s, a K10 with 1tons and 38s and I have a mildly built Tahoe with an H2 rear and some other goodies built for getting me where I wanna go. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to off road stuff. Plus, you yourself said your Yukon is not a trail rig, so why make it one? Great logic.
A, C, E, & F: Your whole argument is based on the assumption that I want to make it better off road. You're judging my entire trail experience based off the video. I'm saying it does fine enough on the trails that I ride, and I'm trying to make it more reliable by getting rid of a weak link in the drivetrain that disables it completely if you lose 1 of 9 links.

B. being able to disconnect the front diff would only make it better on gas mileage.

D. Not "too hard". Too expensive to make an electric one work like factory, and I'm not willing to get rid of the center console for a 241...... Like i said before, i dont need it anyway since the 6.2 makes enough torque and the trans never gets hot.

G. The point isn't to make it not break. The point is to avoid being stranded when it does break.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a 241, with a console, with the oem shift handle and bezel. Honestly making it fit was (in my opinion) far easier than pulling apart a t case and welding a diff that may or may not even have spiders to weld up.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Your will and way is not what I would suggest, my will and way wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Carry on soldier, best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: welding the open diff carrier in a BW4485 AWD T-case??