Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Fuel Pump intermittent failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump intermittent failure

My grandpa has an 08 with 4.3 that was involved in a wreck. He ran into some old lady that ran off the road and swerved back out infront of him before he had time to stop. Insurance fixed his truck but now his fuel pump will randomly quit. Insurance will not fix it cuz it should have been part of the original repairs and the Dealership won't cover it under warranty because it was in a wreck.

Is there any kind of fuel cut off on these trucks that could be malfunctioning or are there any other wires/relays I can check besides the ones on the pump?

I doubt the pump is going out and want to check everything else out before trying to change it.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Where's the Beef?

Bump.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got me stumped :/
Old 01-08-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First off, GM does not have any "fuel cut off". What makes you think the fuel pump is cutting out intermittently? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? In my experience fuel pumps either work or do not. When they begin to fail the pressure will usually drop and a really hard start condition will result.
How many miles are on this truck? An intermittent stall condition I would suspect a Crank Position Sensor. Is the check engine light on? Any pending codes?
Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Where's the Beef?

the fact that the dealership scanned it, cleared the codes and said it has a bad fuel pump. I'm waiting for him to get it back from the dealer so I can go scan it myself. I have never ran across a cut off before but it's a NNBS so I didn't know if they ever added one. Clears that up.
Don't know the miles but he has driving it out of state a few times. As soon as I can get some codes I'll know more but the fact that it is random is why i didn't think it was the pump but rather a sensor, cut off, or wiring of sorts.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Where's the Beef?

Grandpa just got the truck back home tonight. Says you can hear the pump and it will start at first but then just die. I'm thinking there is a bad ground on the front somewhere since the front clip was replaced.
going to scan it tomorrow to see if I get a code. Please suggest things to check. maybe do a crank relearn?

Where are all of the grounds on the 08's?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the fuel pressure to see if it's dropping & causing it to die. That's the only thing I can think of..
Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Where's the Beef?

I don't think I have a pressure gauge but I'll see if i can find one. is the pressure regulator still on the back of the fuel rail?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. If its related to the wreck its called a supplement, INS should cover it. 2. If it's related to the repair being not performed correctly then the body shop should take care of it. 3. fuel pump has nothing to do with a wreck...wiring or other not repaired correctly would not be covered under warranty..but if its the pump it is covered on a 08 to 100,000 or 5 years.If they diagnosed it as a pump problem, that would have nothing to do with a wreck so they should replace the pump. If they wont, tell them they will be recieving a 0 CSI score if you get a survey, they take that pretty serious. next step would be just call GM and talk to them.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Where's the Beef?

I'm gonna see who fixed what on it and go from there if I can't fix it but I agree with everything you said. If it does turn out to be the pump I will be contacting the dealership myself on his behalf. If it turns out to be something that is wreck related that I can't fix I'll be contacting the shop that did the repairs.
The same shop has my friends 09 in there from having the front end backed into so if he has the same problem I won't be surprised. He should have his back tomorrow.

Edit: Dad says grandpa has over 100k on the truck. It's possible but I'll look myself tomorrow. If so and it is something expensive like that I'll be on here looking for a cheap replacement cuz neither of us can afford a pump right now.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump intermittent failure