Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Tune and warranty?

Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune and warranty?

Hey guys, just bought a 2012 gmc. She has 4500 miles on the clock. I'd live to have it tuned, but don't want to void the warranty. Would a tune void the warranty?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to pay to play.

in short. it can void it if a power train issue arises.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Yes, if you go in with a tune. However tunes can be put back to stock and it's my understanding that none would be the wiser.

Can someone confirm or deny this? I'd hate to steer the op wrong.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Area47
you have to pay to play.

in short. it can void it if a power train issue arises.
Bingo. If you want to go faster and take something outside of the OEM parameters you should be expected to pay for what breaks. Warranty is to cover something how it came from GM, not what you decide to tinker with and then have an "oh ****" moment later.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warranty? what's that? Dealers look at me funny for some reason when I use to drive by wonder why? I don't wanna play anymore
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 62nalide
Warranty? what's that? Dealers look at me funny for some reason when I use to drive by wonder why? I don't wanna play anymore
I paid for an extended warranty when I bought my truck and last time home went in asking if I could cash it out. The lady was confused and thought I was crazy and asked why I would do such a thing.

I ended up keeping it cause since the truck is not paid off all they could have done was put it towards the balance I owe and I figured I would keep it for all the extra road side assistance and tow service if I ever need it. Plus I am sure there is still some random part that might be covered LOL
Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh no, Here we go again !
Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I've a 6 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and I was worried about voiding my warranty with a tune. I was going to get a Black Bear tune but if I had to switch out the PCM then I sure the dealer would know. So I looked into a diablo sport custom tune. According to them the way the programmer tunes the vehicle it saves your orginal backup OEM tune on the programmer and then you up load the new custom tune. The key part is you can switch back to the factory tune if you need to go back to the dealer for whatever reason. And Diablo Sport assured me that it would be almost impossible for the dealer to detect and changes as long as the factory tune is loaded back on, because of the way the programmer tunes the PCM it doesn't change any of the calibration numbers unique to your truck. After the installed the tune and drove about 50 miles I could defanitly see a difference especially in the shift firmness which the firmness from the factory sucks....way too soft which is actually worse for the tranny
Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason 6.2L
I've a 6 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and I was worried about voiding my warranty with a tune. I was going to get a Black Bear tune but if I had to switch out the PCM then I sure the dealer would know. So I looked into a diablo sport custom tune. According to them the way the programmer tunes the vehicle it saves your orginal backup OEM tune on the programmer and then you up load the new custom tune. The key part is you can switch back to the factory tune if you need to go back to the dealer for whatever reason. And Diablo Sport assured me that it would be almost impossible for the dealer to detect and changes as long as the factory tune is loaded back on, because of the way the programmer tunes the PCM it doesn't change any of the calibration numbers unique to your truck. After the installed the tune and drove about 50 miles I could defanitly see a difference especially in the shift firmness which the firmness from the factory sucks....way too soft which is actually worse for the tranny
Is that about all you've noticed? Firmer shifts and higher shift points maybe cooler temp for fan to come on?
I had a super chips "custom tune" and after 3 days I filed for their money back guarantee and ordered a black bear efI live kit. I can update. Install and UN install within ten minutes and have had my truck in for warranty fixes
Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a GM tech tell me that as long as the factory tune was loaded back into the ECM, they wouldn't be able to tell its been flashed, but than Futral motor sports says they can tell if anything has been charged regardless if its been returned to factory specs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune and warranty?