Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Tricks to deep clean leather.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tricks to deep clean leather.

My drivers front seat looks dirty down deep in the grain. If you take a tooth brush and scrub the heck out of it with water it will come clean and look factory new. It's also cashmere so it shows everything. Anyone have idea that is quick to really clean it up without damaging it.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i was detailing i would use a steam cleaner and a soft degreaser. i would actually try and find some auto magic special cleaner. let it soak on the seats for a good 10 mins. spray it again and scrub the crap out of them.

also, window cleaner with ammonia works good as a cleaner too
Old 11-01-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used leatherique on mine, worked quite well, seats looked mint when I got the truck, but after the two stage cleaning, I got a ton of dirt to come to the surface.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
My drivers front seat looks dirty down deep in the grain. If you take a tooth brush and scrub the heck out of it with water it will come clean and look factory new. It's also cashmere so it shows everything. Anyone have idea that is quick to really clean it up without damaging it.
Yeah, I have the same problem on the wife's ride. On tan leather the dirt really shows in the cracks. Seems the only way I can get it clean is with a toothbrush. In for ideas as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a brush with the kit when I bought it, I used it soaked in some warm water first. Followed directions, and used a warm cloth too on the leather when wiping up. I did a write up on cgm. I can post it or pm it to you.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 AM
cam
TECH Addict

Theres a local guy who cleans interiors for serious cars ( lambos etc. ) I spoke with him about leather cleaning and whats the best method after my brother bought a yukon with the light gray leather that was all grungy.

His tip which works MINT was to use hand cleaner without pumice ( the smooth goopy stuff ) and afterwards condition the leather with hand lotion.

All I can say is I wish I had before and after pics. The seats look thrashed before, and like new afterwards. The creases were about 25% of what they were thanks to the lotion and you could tell how much the leather loved the lotion it soaked right in.

Leather is just skin remember that.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cam
Theres a local guy who cleans interiors for serious cars ( lambos etc. ) I spoke with him about leather cleaning and whats the best method after my brother bought a yukon with the light gray leather that was all grungy.

His tip which works MINT was to use hand cleaner without pumice ( the smooth goopy stuff ) and afterwards condition the leather with hand lotion.

All I can say is I wish I had before and after pics. The seats look thrashed before, and like new afterwards. The creases were about 25% of what they were thanks to the lotion and you could tell how much the leather loved the lotion it soaked right in.

Leather is just skin remember that.
I will try this for sure. Thanks.

Originally Posted by texasglock23
I got a brush with the kit when I bought it, I used it soaked in some warm water first. Followed directions, and used a warm cloth too on the leather when wiping up. I did a write up on cgm. I can post it or pm it to you.
PM it to me for sure! Thanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm up for a pm as well. But handcleaner sounds like a great way also. Theres more than one way to skin a cat to get it done it seems.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good stuff. Any particular brand of hand cleaner he preferred?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

pm sent

Quick Reply: Tricks to deep clean leather.