PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/)
-   -   Took my headers off (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/took-my-headers-off-537964/)

09 Rooster 06-06-2015 10:42 PM

Took my headers off

I cant believe it but for the first time in my 20+ years of modifying my vehicles I took a mod off. I'm mad and disappointed. I only had the headers on for a couple of months and they sounded terrible. I had headers on my C5 and another car previously as well. On this truck, the drone was bad, the valve train noise was bad and my truck sounded like a tractor. I am into them for way more than I'm happy to admit but it is just a lesson learned I guess. I thought I did a lot of research so I didn't expect the poor sound.

The good news is 2 fold. I'm getting pretty quick at changing the headers/manifolds on the truck and it has pushed me back to buying a toy. I will be looking at a first gen CTS V on Tuesday evening. Coming from the C5 this is about a perfect car for me as it gets. I sold the vette because I wanted to be able to take the family with me. I feel familiar with the mechanicals of the Cadi and it has 4 seats. Hope my wife doesn't kill me :)

Gary's Hemi 06-07-2015 06:11 AM

As much as I want to get a set for mine everyone I talk to w/ gmt900 trucks has shitty valvetrain noise w/ them. Have had headers on all my previous vehicles w/ no noise at all but sounds like these trucks are different.

What motor and what muffler set up do you have?

09 Rooster 06-07-2015 08:49 AM

Yeah, shitty is about the nicest word I could use to describe all of the sound. I have a 5.3 with a Corsa exhaust. Admittedly the exhaust is not well matched for the headers.

George C.... 06-07-2015 09:08 AM

sound not sound like a tractor, find a better exhaust to get rid of the drone and etc

corsa is not a good sounding exhaust at part throttle, its a aggressive sound at WOT

RS/SS 4.8 06-07-2015 11:26 AM

My 08 4.8 with cam and headers didnt sound like a tractor and i had the cheap ebay headers on mine. I agree with george, a better muffler will make a ton of difference. Id get compliments on how badass it sounded full throttle and at idle.

camcamaro1991 06-08-2015 02:39 AM

I had drone at anything over 65mph, these made a world of difference on my Borla cat back 140420 kit LINK , but this won't get rid of valvetrain noise.
It's useless now since you removed your exhaust, but maybe it can help others

AUTOT3K 06-11-2015 03:22 PM

I get sewing machine noise but I dont think it's from my headers, I do get a pretty nasty drone though at 65mph ish

good luck on the CTS build though! I love those cars

iamkeniff 06-11-2015 08:45 PM

I've never had a drone, rasp is a different story.
Swap to a stock muffler and cut outs :devil:
I am extremely happy with my stock duramax exhaust

wanablaze 06-13-2015 11:39 AM

No drone here with my factory catback (catless, too). My magnaflow exhaust had terrible drone with the factory manifolds and cats.

ViaBellator 07-21-2015 12:23 PM

Mine is loud as hell, but the sound is good and deep, not bad/raspy/drone loud. Speed Engineering headers with a single Dynomax muffler and dual out. No Cats.

I have considered adding a resonator or something similar to lower the volume a bit, but actual drivetrain noise doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. - You can hear it, sure....but with a motor swap, cam, head work, etc I kind of expect to hear it.

The only thing I don't like is it can have an incredibly annoying rattling sound at WOT in first gear. I thought at first it may be a leak at one of the connections, but I tried every fix known to the forum short of welding the connections and nothing got rid of it. Honestly, I'm sort of used to it at this point. - may be something as simple as a rattling heat shield....<shrug> The truck runs fine after several months that way so I haven't been overly concerned about it.