GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

thinking of some mods on my 2010 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of some mods on my 2010 Suburban

until early September from now I'll be using our 2010 suburban 5.3 2wd

as well as i'm using it temporarily because it's the home car and instead of buying another car or using a Sonata V8 is better

i'm planing for plug&play parts that has acceptable residual value when i offer them once I finish using them

the parts

- K&N CAI
- GM LS3/LS7 ( throttle response purpose )
- Diablosport predator or Intune
- 160 thermostat

I wouldn't prefer to go with exhaust because it will be my daily driving car ( maybe i'll look for a second hand cat-back )

of corse it needs a set of spark plugs and wires probably.

any suggestions on those parts or additions.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4000 converter and tires

Mods look pretty good man. I'm unsure if you meant the ls3 throttle body? If so I'd skip on that. Not much bang for the buck IMO.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Teching In

LoooooooooooooL

yes the LS3/LS7 TB are the same, it is the second cheapest part LoooooooL

i'm just wondering about that TB would it make any difference or not !?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not a throttle body guru, but IIRC a 2010 should have a 90mm throttle body. If so, I would not thing a ls3/ls7 throttle body would be very beneficial.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no trucks have a 90mm tb there all 87mm. The 90 will give you a little better response. ported 90mm will give you more. I was going to say skip the thermostat but then saw you are in Saudi Arabia. You mite need it there. With the sand id skip the K&N. I wouldnt use a filter I could see through. The stock air box is fine and will flow plenty for the stock engine. im running a stock box and im supercharged. Just get a Air Aid M.I.T Jr. with dry filter. oiled filters are not good on these trucks. The oil can get on the MAF. The stock air tube will not fit with the 90mm TB. Unless you modify it. Id just get the air aid for it. Get a Dyno tune if you can. There much better then a data log tune because they use a wide band o2. If you cant find some one who knows what there doing dynoing a GM were you are get a Diablo from DiabLew Tune - Custom Tuning for GM Vehicles - DiabloSport inTune, Trinity, Predator Custom Tuning by 06MonteSS
Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Thank you JCunningham

I really appreciate your idea about the intake tube, but it's offered of $199.99. Summit is offering the K&N CAI of $239.99, i know Airaid is easier to install and practical as well but compared to K&N it's quite expensive.

Regarding to the tune I know people could tune the car properly. but I'd like to be on the safe side, its less risk to use data log tune especially on my mods. what i'k looking to tune is: torque management, shifting point, rev limiter, fans temp and probably some timing and fuel. because fuel in Saudi Arabia is different than the US one, thus i wouldn't prefer to play with those options. maybe slightly

BTW i've heard that K&N has more torque that the others !! not too much but it is the best in torque aspect. is it true ??

links for the stuff that we discussed about

Airaid - Product Search

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-63-3070
Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nescafe4all
Thank you JCunningham

I really appreciate your idea about the intake tube, but it's offered of $199.99. Summit is offering the K&N CAI of $239.99, i know Airaid is easier to install and practical as well but compared to K&N it's quite expensive

BTW i've heard that K&N has more torque that the others !! not too much but it is the best in torque aspect. is it true

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-63-3070
There has been a couple test done by different groups, I don't have the links for them (somebody here will though) but both test included all the popular intakes and the airaid is the best overall. It provided the best overall power and was the best priced at the time. Unless your dead set on the knn go with a tube and drop in filter. He'll for that fact get some rubber pipe couplers and a 4" PVC tube and make your own.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JCunningham
no trucks have a 90mm tb there all 87mm. The 90 will give you a little better response. ported 90mm will give you more. I was going to say skip the thermostat but then saw you are in Saudi Arabia. You mite need it there. With the sand id skip the K&N. I wouldnt use a filter I could see through. The stock air box is fine and will flow plenty for the stock engine. im running a stock box and im supercharged. Just get a Air Aid M.I.T Jr. with dry filter. oiled filters are not good on these trucks. The oil can get on the MAF. The stock air tube will not fit with the 90mm TB. Unless you modify it. Id just get the air aid for it. Get a Dyno tune if you can. There much better then a data log tune because they use a wide band o2. If you cant find some one who knows what there doing dynoing a GM were you are get a Diablo from DiabLew Tune - Custom Tuning for GM Vehicles - DiabloSport inTune, Trinity, Predator Custom Tuning by 06MonteSS
Thanks for the correction. I was pretty close. Good advice here.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The K@N filter doesnt filter as good as most dry drop ins will. sand will get through. A dyno tune is safer then a data log tune because they use a wide band. Most data log tuners do not unless you have a wideband data logger. You dont have to get a max HP tune. Tell them you want a nice safe tune.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07vmax1500
There has been a couple test done by different groups, I don't have the links for them (somebody here will though) but both test included all the popular intakes and the airaid is the best overall. It provided the best overall power and was the best priced at the time.
Here's one of them: BBP Independent Intake Test Results - Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central

And here's another: Cai Dyno Wars Results - Bolt On Performance - SilveradoSS.com

Quick Reply: thinking of some mods on my 2010 Suburban