Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Started 6l80 tranny swap today

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Screw dinner.... Lol!!! What os did you use? What dash and which shifter?? Come on with the details.....
Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I have a little time and the truck is drivable so here goes the summary of what I have so far. I will compile a parts list with numbers and post it later.

First, I had a 07 NNBS 2wd crew cab with a 5.3 and 4l60. I was able to get a GM remanufactured 6l80 that was for a 2wd Denali. I then purchased an 09 engine harness. This harness was really close to the same, I just needed to modify the MAP, MAF, oil sending, fuel pump and the starter relay. I cut the connectors off the old harness and spliced them onto the new harness. There was only one connector missing and it was for the low oil level. I some point I will dissect the old harness to retrieve the missing connection. Everything else was plug and play.

As for the install of the trans, it was pretty straight forward, just a PITA on jack stands. There was one bracket on the top bell housing bolt that gave me fits. Somehow it didn't end up back in place upon reassembly. Also, the factory bolts with the studs were replaced with normal hex head bolts. Much easier to install. As for the trans cross member I just flipped it around. It needed to holes drilled in it, one for the trans mount and the other for the locator tab on the passenger side.

After it was all in, learned that my driveshaft was to short. Still trying to figure out how I am going to fix that issue. Other than that everything else fit great.

This morning, which is day 4 of the project, I was ready to fire up the truck. It started right up and wasn't throwing any codes. It wouldn't move but it ran fine. So that is when I started programing the TCM. I started with a 07 Denali TCM tune which seemed to work, but I ended up with a 07 Silverado 2500 TCM tune. After programing the TCM with GM software I switched to HP Tuners to start to work out the bugs with gearing and tires size. With the GM software I was able to just flash the TCM which left the original ECM tune in the truck. After all this I performed a Fast Learn on the trans which helps the TCM learn my specific trans.

I went with the 2500 (6l90) OS so I will have grade braking when tow/ haul is activated. It work well, just needs some fine tuning.

As for the cluster, I got one from a junk yard that had PRNDL. Its in and works. I will revin it tomorrow and go and get the mileage and engine hours adjusted to match mine. The shifter is from a 2500. The only issue I can see so for in the my old one 2 had 1/16 inch pins and the one I got has 4 1/8 inch pins. But the connector in the steering column wire harness has 4 pins already. I will play with that tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

So you didnt have to change the os in the ecm, just the tcm?
Old 06-17-2016, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Once the tcm was programmed did you have to relicense through hotuners or was it still off the same credits??
Old 06-17-2016, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

bingo. I just need to change a couple of number that I got from Jesse at True Blue Motorsports.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

It worked off the same credits I think. HP tuners didn't ask for anymore credits.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats awesome, i was thinking i was going to have to reprogram the denali/2500 os in and then swap the vins in ecm and tcm.... Curious as to whether or not youll have tu/td or not.... So you were able to use the 2500 os with your vin, with gm software??
Old 06-17-2016, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the latest update. The trans is in and working pretty good. I need to order a new shifter. The one I have has 1/8 inch pins and I need 1/16 inch pin. The steering column wire harness has all the pins installed. I have a cluster that has PRNDL, so I am going to send it out to have the correct mileage and engine hours put in it.

The truck drives good. Everything works. I just need to get the trans tuned.

One issue with drivability is when the trans is put in drive or reverse it delays a sec or two before engaging. Not sure what is causing that issue.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

About the OS I, just had a vin for an 07 2500 and just loaded the factory tune into the TCM. There were no compatibility issues at all. I loaded the program and was able to drive the truck. I did however have a virgin tcm, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you have to change the vin in the tcm, through hptuners? Seems there would be a vin mismatch otherwise

Quick Reply: Started 6l80 tranny swap today