Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Looking into a newer truck with 4wd

Old 07-15-2015, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into a newer truck with 4wd

Hey er'body!

So over the weekend I had a mishap and my beloved 07 Silverado might be totalled... Not sure yet but as forward thinking I have been looking at a replacement and have come across a few LTZ's and what not that are 4wd.
years range from 2010 to 2013. Ive never owned a 4wd mainly because I know how to drive in snow and love the easy suspension upgrades of 2wd.

If I get a 4wd, in those years mentioned (10-13) are there any issues or reliability concerns linked to mileage? Are there issues with the T-case or front driveline that come about aside from reg. wear and tear? im looking into getting either a truck with an 80e already in, or a 6l80. However, I want to lower it as well so how much harder is it to lower a 4wd compared to the 2wd brother?
Are there any other issues to look for based on years and so on?
When I bought my 07, I did sooo much research and got the truck with remote start, 243 heads and so on but now, I gotta do the same for another vehicle.
Any insight, ideas and guides will greatly help. I am definately looking for something with factory remote start too.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Anything that is from 10-13 with the 5.3 with already have the 6 speed 6L80e. They are a great transmission and arent as big of a problem compared to the 4L60e.

I've never had a problem with the transfer case on my 2010 or my 2012 that I recently got. The front diff can still be a problem area like on the older GMT-800's but it seems that it's less of the newer ones that chew themselves apart. Can something happen, sure but the likelyhood is still pretty low.

I only drive around in 2wd but switch it over to AUTO or 4HI if in the deep snow/mud. As always its a bad idea to run 4HI on dry ground while turning, you'd feel it binding up going slow through turns.

I think my trucks come with 799 heads and both are LC9 aluminum blocks. So lighter motors. Seems that the 10+ motor have far far less problems with leaking oil pans and rear main seals. Both my motors are dry and neither burns any oil that I've noticed. I also don't stretch out my oil changes.

Lowering is still simple. Shackles and lift blocks removed plus doing lowering struts or spring relocators will do a nice 2-3 drop.

Here is my 2010 4X4 that I did the above lowering job on. I have since removed the lowering parts to bring it back to stock as I am selling that truck and keeping my crew cab.

Name:  20150427_153522_zpsqtq7xoov.jpg
Views: 11024
Size:  242.7 KB
Old 07-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Launching!

NICE! Good to hear.
Honestly ive never owned a 4x4 yet and its getting real hard to find any low mileage 2wd trucks in this state near me. almost everything is 4wd so I guess... ill do it.

Thank you for the input on the reliability stand point.
In searching for a truck with the right combo, my range of looking is 2010-2014 and ive been looking more towards 2012-13's and if I can, I am going to hope for a sunroof and remote start. mine had remote start and yeah... i gotta have it.

Im happy that the lowering is the same as the 2wd, because I dont offroad but I love the way these trucks look lowered at least 2/4.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

It's hard to find a sunroof, it wasnt something I really looked for but both times I looked for a truck I couldnt seem to get ones with a sunroof in the LT model. It might be more of the LTZ or in some sort of package that some of the LT's have like color matching and such.

And both had remote start, seems that it's almost a standard thing if it's got some sort of winter package on it. Both of mine have block heaters too and are Z71's. My buddys 4X4 package truck does not have remote start.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the input. Ive been looking and yesterday I drove about 500 miles to look at two. First one was an LTZ with everything and the only thing I am questioning is that its certified pre-owned but when I was under the truck, the oil pan has a leak, the steering line at the rack is either leaking or theres an internal seal leaking (couldnt see without going into engine bay for top view) and the front driver side cv shaft flange has end play. basically, the front driveline goes pumpkin, then an outer bearing that has a flange where the CV bolts to and at the flange is noticable play not just in and out, but lateral. And the tires are original and dry rotted so i am questioning how it was certified.

The other truck, which was opposite of where the first one was, I couldnt look at because they had a huuuge gate around the place and it was locked (2 hour drive one way to stare at a fancy gate) with warnings of security.

i got this rental car at 34 miles... poor thing hahahaha
Old 07-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Never had any problems with mine
Old 07-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a little old and like you said weak link 4l65 waiting on a built transmission but... the 6 speeds I have owned hunt for gears and I hate it... Have a 2014 4x4 love the power and all but hate the trans... Acts like it doesnt know what gear to be in.. but might be my driving as I just don't put around. LoL
Old 07-31-2015, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Weird. Ive had that sometimes with my 60e but it wasnt constantly hunting. That could be something else too depending on other things.

I looked at a badass 14 silverado Rally Edition with 5100 miles but after test driving it and the sales manager pushing hard to get me to buy it right then I found it was a manufacture buyback and or lemon... I was not happy because I was ready to tell the guy to shaddup n take my money. I felt something weird so I left and said i needed time to think and yeah carfax is worth the money!

Too bad i drove 2.5 hours to Wisconsin to see it and didnt look at the carfax until AFTER i drove it. but it was great. exactly what i wanted too.