Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Replacing rotors with drilled and slotted

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Replacing rotors with drilled and slotted

I'm replacing the rotors and pads before boating season fires up. I want to get drilled and slotted front and rear rotors that are coated black in the center since my rims really show that area on the rotor and I hate the rust you can see now.

Would these be a good choice. I don't have the budget for anything like wilwood or a Z06 conversion.

[Front and Rear Set] 4 Performance Brake Rotors and 8 Premium Ceramic Brake Pads | eBay
Old 04-05-2017, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Skip drilled, it's just bling, with no performance benefit. If you want to get super technical about it, actual brake engineers might argue there is a performance decrease because each one of those drill holes reduces friction area of the rotor, but my guess would be it's not anything you could tell with the butt dyno.

Rotors with black coating in the unswept areas are nice but the coating will go away after a while and the rotors will rust. The Wagners I put on my SRT8 did this and I just touched them up a little with the spray can.

If your mindset is strictly performance out of your brakes, skip the ceramic pads and look at the aggressive semi-metallic compounds. Ceramics are mostly for keeping brake dust off your wheels. I run them myself but I recognize it's a compromise between performance and not getting my wheels all dusted up.

Richard
Old 04-05-2017, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mainly just want them for the bling to go behind my 22x10 rims. The stock brake with 4 wheel disc do a good enough job. I'm going to paint the caliper silver to match the truck and put alittle DENALI decal on them to dress them up a-little.

I just replaced the rotors on my wife's SRT8 charger and didn't get the coated center and they already look like crap.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Drilled crack, stay sway from them.
You want dimpled and slotted.
Any major name brand will work.
Or go ebay route then have the rotors powder coated thwn machined.

Powder coat all braketry and calipers also.
Its the only way to slow rusting down.
You will need to clean them often as the brake dust os corrosive and will ruin them rapidly.
A sticker will not last unless you high temp clear over ot and even then it will sun fade in a month. Dont do it.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used drilled and slotted rotors on most of my vehicles and have had no problems with them at all. They actually lasted longer than the regular rotors on my TBSS even with all the foot break launches and slow downs at the end of the track.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I added these today from the link above. First day of driving with them says they feel good. We will see how long they last. I used some duplicolor spray on caliper paint. I don't think it will last. I'll probably redo it with the thicker brush on G2 paint to help smooth the rough metal.