Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Picked up a 07' Silverado 5.3, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Velislide
Yea, I plan on calling to see what a 4.56 setup will run me. I would like to stick with 35s, and maybe go a little higher to correct the rubbing issue on bumps. As much as I hate body lifts, I might have to consider one just to clear them better. I have the Edge CS2 mounted on the dash, it's nice for the instant fuel mileage, trans temp, and other warnings that I have set to pop up. It's also nice being able to check future codes with it. It came with the truck, so can't complain too much. As easy as I am on the truck, the 3.73s don't bother me too much. But I'm more worried about the stress on the trans and other drive line components.

I don't know what all he replaced, with what either, other then what he told me. But will disabling AFM/DOD with software, help prolong the valvetrain life? What kills them? Is it the constant switching?
To perform an AFM Delete you have to replace the cam, lifters, valley pan. If you go with a larger cam you should replace your valve springs. Pushrods don't have to be replaced unless you want a lighter, stronger unit, same goes for the rocker arms. Check out Texas Speed they have an AFM delete kit\components for the 5.3. You mentioned changing your gears to 4.56, you'll need to re-tune your ECM, speedo, and trans to accommodate the gears, so if you're going to do the AFM delete do it all in one shot to save money from multiple tunes. If you do the work yourself source out a place that can do the tune on a dyno to get the most out of it.