Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Ls rebuild manual. Very detailed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ls rebuild manual. Very detailed?

Looking for a very detailed ls engine rebuild manual. This is needed for rebuilding my Lc9 for forced induction. Want something that covers every detail and has good pictures. LMK what you have and how detailed it is. Thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up the book by Joseph Potak. Also has torque specs in the back.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I have Potak's book, it is pretty good. It sounds though like you want a general engine assembly guide, probably something more towards a machinist level. Engines are basically the same assembly wise, and I think you are looking for that general knowledge. I dont have any suggestions on a book for that. I have read pretty much all of the LS specific books out there, and I still paid someone to assembly my shortblock. Reason being, even if I found something wrong I dont have the tools to do anything about it so I would be taking it to a machine shop anyway.

If this is a forged/built engine that is the route I would go. Potak's book is plenty sufficient for long block assembly which is much less picky.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Just ordered potaks book and one other. I will give them a read before tackling the short block. I wanted to do the full assembly but was hoping to find a manual that covered bearing clearances and correct methods of checking.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Correct method is having the correct $$ tools.

OD mic, and the ability to "feel" the correct size.

bore mic and the same ability

calculator

ive been a machinist/welder for about 7yrs, and have access to the tools and feel comfortable using them. That said, I've built probably 15 Saturn engines myself, never had an issue. On my 408, the shop only wanted $250 to set the ring gap and put the bottom end together. I happily paid it because I've never built an LS bottom end and I can't really afford to do it twice.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Correct method is having the correct $$ tools.

OD mic, and the ability to "feel" the correct size.

bore mic and the same ability

calculator

ive been a machinist/welder for about 7yrs, and have access to the tools and feel cpomfortable using them. That said, I've built probably 15 Saturn engines myself, never had an issue. On my 408, the shop only wanted $250 to set the ring gap and put the bottom end together. I happily paid it because I've never built an LS bottom end and I can't really afford to do it twice.
Im planning on buying a decent dial bore gauge and mic. Between that and plastigauge I think I will manage. I will probably just go with factory clearances. No real good consistent info on clearances for forced induction. At least that I can find. Also no one in rapid city would assemble the short block for $250 and i am more likely to do a better job then they will. I do have the option to send it to denver if i chicken out. Ring gap is something I have not thought about yet. Need to research how its done and what gap is best.