Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Low oil pressure fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure fixes

I have low oil pressure on my 2007 6.2 denali vvt no dod/afm. I have a melling high volume pump and a new cam ,lifters, pushrods. Still only 10 or 15 psi at idle when hot with 5 w 30 Mobil synthetic. My question is, since I have the early l92 engine that has no dod afm lifters, trays or valley cover, do I have the lifter oil filter screen located in the valet cover and do I have the oil pressure relief valve located in the oil pan? Is there any way I can check without removing the intake or the oil pan? My l92 originally had the smooth valley cover and no afm lifters. But I had the original high volume oil pump.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, you have the relief valve in the oil pan, there are o rings in the valley cover around the oil ports that wouldve normally been used for afm/dod. There is no filter before the oil pressure sender. You can test oil pressure in a couple different places, at the filter(which requires a spin-on adaptor), there should be a pipe plug just above the oil filter, and you can check it at the oil pressure sender port, if you check it at both it should give you a better idea of whether you are losing pressure at the filter, after it or closer to the top end...are you going off of an actual oil pressure guage or the guage in the cluster?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we had this issue on my 408. melling oil pump was the problem. ended up with spun bearings. pulled and put a ported ls6 on the l92 block and had low oil pressure. slow to rise and fast to fall. went with a factory pump for the l92, ported and shimmed it. now i have 47psi at idle warm.
we checked o rings, pick up tubes. blocked off oil pan ad valley and still had issues. ended up being an oil pump issue
Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

If you didn't replace the cam bearings during the cam swap, then it's the 3rd cam bearing worn out.