Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Jake Performance - BEWARE!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jake Performance - BEWARE!!!!!!

Im writing this while its still fresh in my head because its absolutely uncalled for and ridiculous.

I was building a high hp street truck with a local shop. With my build I wanted a quality transmission and through some research i found some people were having success with Jakes Performance. I discussed it with the Shops two owners and they both said that could be a nice option. He spoke to jake about my truck and ordered a Level 3 4l80e with a D3 transbrake and their triple disk billet converter. The shops two owners and I both discussed this combination multiple times that this was the combination to go with after they talked to Jake. He ordered it.

The trans came in and it was eventually installed. The shop tries to put on the converter and the input shaft was out of tolerance. They were not sure if it was their converter or the shaft but it would not click into place. They contacted Jakes Performance and they said they would fix it under warrantee. A few drove down to south florida with a car full of parts, swapped it out (shaft tolerance out of spec) and spent a few nights having fun in South Florida. Great Service!

fast forward, my truck was taking over 10 months and probably 90% finished. i was told 2-3 so I decided to pull it out of the shop and bring it to another shop to finish it. The new shop goes to install the transbrake to the shifter and there is NO transbrake....

I contact Jake via email and explained to him that I had pulled my truck from previous shop and current shop is telling me there is no transbrake in which I ordered one with the D3. At this point Jake didn't have access to order records and said he would look it up. He said to take a picture of the connector and send it to him. I sent him the picture and he said thats not a D3.

He sends me a picture of the work order that he wrote out and theres no transbrake. I call the previous shop and they said they have never ordered a trans from them without a D3 and we clearly discussed it.

At this point it is either Jake did he not write it down or the shop did not order it with a transbrake... Regardless at any finger pointing, not even sure if any went down honestly, the previous shop said they would take full responsibility for it regardless of who is at fault and pay to have it uninstalled from my truck even at the new shop, Ship it back to Jakes, have the D3 installed, and shipped back to the new shop. Trans went out on AUG17 to Jakes.

I was told specifically by the previous shops owner that he spoke directly to Jake and worked it out and that Jake said they will install the transbrake when they get it. He said it would be a quick turnaround, maybe a few days.

At this point Ive only exchange a couple emails with Jake about the connection and a picture and have not discussed with him that it will be going back to a different shop when he's done or discussed a time table. I am simply going on what the previous shop told me Jake specifically said.

Monday Aug 29 I call and spoke to Chris. I asked him if they received the trans ok and any status? He said to hang on a minute and he will find out for me! He comes back and says oh yes my transbrake guy isn't here right now but he will be back in a while and he is actually installing your transbrake today! He said it would be ready to ship in a couple days, maybe wednesday but will call me to let me know and took down my number.

The current shop my truck is at did not for-see my truck sitting on a lift and taking up space with a transmission issue shuffle back to Jakes. Regardless he is completely understanding of the situation and asked if he was going to have it this week possibly as I told him it would only be a couple of days after they get it (what i was told Jake specifically said by owner who spoke to him). I told him i called Jakes on monday and that they told me they installed it monday and are shipping it out.

Then I called today September 1st as i didn't hear back from Chris.

This is the 2nd call i have ever made to Jakes on this trans issue.. There has never been any confrontation between us or anything. I know that shops are busy and that answering a phone call by the same person twice in a week will send some loose cannon shop owners to the looney bin apparently.

I call today and a lady answers and i simply asked her if by chance the trans went out (to inform the current shop who is asking) and she said in a nutshell that they don't have any D3 transbrakes in stock and that they won't have any until next week sometime...maybe tuesday. At that point there are a lot of people in front of you so that all comes first because its priority over warrantee work.

I was dumbfounded and I just explained to her that Jake said it would only be a few days, then Chris said it was being installed on monday and shipping out and now your telling me you don't have any parts and my trans isn't a priority. She then says you will have to take that up with "Previous shop" ... ?!?!?!

This is when Jake lost his cool and went nuts.

In the background, he starts yelling "That mother-F**cker, you F**cking little B**ch and (insert previous shop) can F*ck off. Then gets on the phone and starts screaming at me and said I'm not putting any F**cking brake in your trans and I'm Putting that Sh*t on a pallet tomorrow and shipping it back to you without a transbake and do what you want with it. Don't call my F**king shop again.." he then hands the phone off and says "and block his F**cking number"

Thats what I get for spending $5k on a brand new transmission and converter that was out of tolerance to begin with and a unstable psychotic business owner who can't be wrong and would never write out a order wrong. Apparently after talking with some people in the performance industry about what just happened, they said that is the exact reason why they won't do business with him and this has happened before.

Like i said, I only called twice ever and maybe 5 cordial emails about the issue. I have gotten 3 different stories from them and then his psychotic meltdown to end it.

Lets just say I WILL NOT BE PUTTING THAT TRANS OR CONVERTER in my truck. BEWARE ALL FUTURE BUYERS, you may get "some" service but if he's under pressure trying to cover his side, he will screw you instantly. Do yourselves a favor and shop elsewhere.

If you want to do business with a owner like that who treats their customers like lint and will cuss them out on the phone screaming at you profanity, then he is your guy!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:29 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Had similar discussions with Jake and nary a pleasant encounter... I have refused to work with him since because of his arrogance and bipolar-ness. I've heard people have success with his transmissions...but what if he builds your trans while he's wigging out like that? The guy seriously needs to be on some medication.

If you want a solid trans, get with Gilbert at Ace Racing. It might take him just as long as Jakes to build it due to his work backlog, but it won't have missing parts and there won't be a 50/50 chance that its a dud because Jake went off and blew a gasket upstairs...
Old 09-02-2016, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry you had a bad experience!!!

Its all strange though. He really helped me on multiple forums with my 4l80e build. I'm shocked. I hope he's doing OK.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Had similar discussions with Jake and nary a pleasant encounter... I have refused to work with him since because of his arrogance and bipolar-ness. I've heard people have success with his transmissions...but what if he builds your trans while he's wigging out like that? The guy seriously needs to be on some medication.

If you want a solid trans, get with Gilbert at Ace Racing. It might take him just as long as Jakes to build it due to his work backlog, but it won't have missing parts and there won't be a 50/50 chance that its a dud because Jake went off and blew a gasket upstairs...
You couldn't of worded it better. I'm not a confrontational guy and anyone who knows me would agree. Even though I've been taken advantage before in the past, I move on learn. I still however will not let a business owner deny everything who I spent $5k with and called twice to MF me and call me a B**ch then not perform the service he was paid for and shipping it back.

Trust me, I've experienced his nastiness first hand and now can confirm others comments that he is not someone to do business with IMO.

I will Check out Gilbert racing for sure thank you. First I need to figure out how I'm going to sell his sh*t because it isn't going in my truck

Originally Posted by tgui
I'm sorry you had a bad experience!!!

Its all strange though. He really helped me on multiple forums with my 4l80e build. I'm shocked. I hope he's doing OK.
That's the thing, he has helped some people and helped rectify the first problem with the Trans. It's when there became a finger pointing issue which was resolved by the shop, and when I questioned why he told the shop a few days, his guy Chris said and confirmed it was being installed Monday and now your telling me you have no parts and I'm not a priority he went bi-polar on me.

I'm not discrediting his transmission in any way, they are probably good but dealing with a loose cannon owner who is clearly having issues with many others. Even Ls1tech is on his *** for the same.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

North Texas Converters nicest guys around.