Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Help 07+ Chevy Silverado front bumper

Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 07+ Chevy Silverado front bumper

I've been running around with my passenger side front bumper corner scuffed up for a while. Guessing someone did a bump and run on me. Its not bad, actually barely noticable since most of the scuffs and paint were able to buff out, but I know its there.

Its right above the fog light opening. Anyways, wanting to see if it can be refinished or if I have to buy another corner piece(found some on EBAY dirt cheap) either way needing to remove the stock piece. Is there any way of removing the corner piece WITHOUT removing the entire bumper assembly or do you have to remove it? Are there any walkthroughs to removing either the individual piece or the whole front bumper?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:54 AM

I converted my truck from the work truck front end to the painted one, and from what I remember youll probably need to drop the bumper. Its got some screws, iirc, that attach it to the bumper on the top and sides. I've still got my matte black ones if you're around the houston area. Should cost less to paint them than buying new ones
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tex20
I converted my truck from the work truck front end to the painted one, and from what I remember youll probably need to drop the bumper. Its got some screws, iirc, that attach it to the bumper on the top and sides. I've still got my matte black ones if you're around the houston area. Should cost less to paint them than buying new ones
Do you still happen to have the WT bumper?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need to take the bumper assembly off in order to get the bumper cap removed, no way around it. It's not difficult, just time consuming because there are dozens of 10mm bolts holding everything together.

The whole assembly is attached to the truck at 4 points IIRC; there's a bracket holding both endcaps to the truck that you need to get underneath to unbolt, then you need to pop the grille out and you will see the two brackets holding the bumper to the frame. You can either unbolt the large bolt going vertically so the bracket comes off the frame, or unbolt the 4 bolts on each bracket, so the brackets stay on the frame, but the bumper assembly comes off. I think these bolts are 15mm, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Kinda what I was afraid of. Guess I'll buy a new corner and have it painted and worry about finding someone to give me a helping hand with the bumper later.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Launching!

do your self a favor and dont buy the caps off of ebay unless the a gm caps. I made that mistake and they are really thin and the tabs break off easy.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

I'll have to double check, I think the ones I saw on ebay were GM caps, but I could be mistaken.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 PM

No, I don't have the wt front bumper anymore. Wish I did though. And yeah, there are two big brackets with run through bolts that hold the bumper on, its a pita to put the bumper back on because they swivel side to side and up and down.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^you must be taking the whole bracket off. that seems more difficult. ive done it twice and just removed four bolts total.
like preston129 said its just four bolts and the whole bumper comes off then there are like a billion 10mm bolts that hold the stuff together.

Name:  bumperbolts.jpg
Views: 10285
Size:  331.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
Debbie Koto (11-15-2019)
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the pic Javzh, that helps alot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help 07+ Chevy Silverado front bumper