PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/)
-   -   Hellwig rear sway bar opinions (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/hellwig-rear-sway-bar-opinions-458614/)

Jeff_383 03-21-2010 12:42 PM

will these sway bars work with a flipped rear axle? Or only stock height.

wrath 03-21-2010 12:53 PM

What kind of height difference are we talking? Mine is at the maximum length of the threads and it already has its lift block removed (but my truck starts out taller due to different axle tubes than a regular half ton). You can also cut the tubes and threads to get it shorter.

Murphdog 03-21-2010 01:56 PM

I've got my end links at max length also and with the 1" blocks removed, the trailing ends of the sway bar are still about 1" above level. The end links are threaded and can be adjusted about 3" shorter, so I'd guestimate you could go about 5" lower than stock with the Hellwig 7800 bar. As Wrath said, you can always modify the end links and get a little more if you need to.
Here's the installation instructions so you can see the end links and how it all goes together. http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...tions/7800.pdf

Noah Burns 03-21-2010 02:48 PM

anyone running one of these on a crew cab? I bought one for mine but haven't installed it yet, any results on a crew?

Three6GMC 03-21-2010 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
def gunna have to invest in some of these thanks for the pics were did you order them from and how much ?

Attachment 147129

Murphdog 03-21-2010 08:09 PM

I got mine both from suspensionconnection.com. The rear was around $250 + $20 shipping. I just googled hellwig 7800 and found the rear for $211 + $10 shipping for thepartsbin.com. Never dealt with thepartsbin so can't vouch for them. Suspensionconnection was a good experience.

Gregory 04-04-2010 09:55 PM

I have Hotchkis front and rear sway bars on my 2007 Avalanche and enjoy the improved handling. It is well worth the money and time spent.

09Jimmy 04-05-2010 12:08 PM

From the pictures it looks like it won't fit with a dual exhaust. The driver's side end links and mount would definately not fit with my Magnaflow catback with dual rear exit.
I put the Hellwig rear bar on my dually cube van and it made a world of difference. Crosswinds and passing semis no longer rock it, and it doesn't lean in the corners anymore.

betz13 04-05-2010 02:59 PM

will these sway bars work with a flipped rear axle? Or only stock height?

I also have an '09 with a 4/7 drop. Has anyone put this on with the axle being flipped?

bosssho 04-07-2010 09:15 AM

guys I need help big time...I have the Hellwig front and rear bars...I have found sways bars are the best bang for the buck upgrade to any vehicle for handling, but this has been a nightmare.

First I have an 08 Sierra Denali and it's got the front leveling kit, but the suspension and exhaust are all stock otherwise.

Well they never sent the spacer kit required for 6 speed automatics...so that delayed install a week...then the bolts that come with their kit are too short b/c of the spacer kit but luckily the oem bolts are long enough so the front is done as of yesterday, but the rear....

With a Sierra Denali the exhaust is larger in diameter than the regular pick ups and their is a resonator beyond the muffler on the passenger side....and this is right where the Hellwig rear bar mounts so my mechanic said there is no way to do it.

I checked on the SUVs and b/c they all have OEM rear sway bars that mound completely different than the Hellwig kit does for the trucks that won't work and the only other truck that is out now...IE....2007+ NBS with the resonator is the Vortec Max trucks but even their exhaust diameters are much smaller....but anyway, Hellwig only shows the 7800 part # for every GM pick up in the light duty 1500 series.

I see all over the web in forums that people with Sierra Denalis are running front AND rear Hellwig sway bars...so please fill me in on the procedure.

Thanks so much.

John