Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

engine rebuild No OIL Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the deal with it backfiring? I bet money if you could get it to run for 5 seconds or more oil pressure would come up. You could even unplug fuel injectors and crank on it for awhile, 15 seconds of cranking had the gauge moving on this suburban even with the spark plugs still in it.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rennat_2006
Whats the deal with it backfiring? I bet money if you could get it to run for 5 seconds or more oil pressure would come up. You could even unplug fuel injectors and crank on it for awhile, 15 seconds of cranking had the gauge moving on this suburban even with the spark plugs still in it.
Backfiring solved. I had a couple coil plugs in the wrong location BUT still won't run more then a couple second's. I found a video on how to prime a pump going to try that tomorrow and see if it does the trick. Thanks for helping we will get this turd running eventually.
The following users liked this post:
richey (03-24-2023)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=ls1+...9YwK2xM:&isa=y

Have you checked this plug? It should have a small plug in it...
Old 04-10-2018, 04:08 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

The backfiring was throwing me off... What oil pump is it? Some are more prone than others to having sticky relief valves. Not sure what effect pressurizing the back side of that valve would have... But sometimes the solution is just to let it run longer. I've seen them take a cringeworthy amount of time to build pressure on a first start.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokeshow
The backfiring was throwing me off... What oil pump is it? Some are more prone than others to having sticky relief valves. Not sure what effect pressurizing the back side of that valve would have... But sometimes the solution is just to let it run longer. I've seen them take a cringeworthy amount of time to build pressure on a first start.
I have an updated tune to load and hopefully that will keep the truck running. I will also try this before starting.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Does the engine oil cooler in the radiator have a direction of flow?
Old 04-11-2018, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

I am still in need of some help especially from you guys who know how the oiling system works. So I spoke with the engine builder and he said to prime the system the same way as the video I posted. Pump oil into the galley plug at the left front of the engine. I have done at least 15 quarts this way and never get even a 1 pound of pressure from either gauge. I am using an actual tank and compressed air made for this job now.

I then seen a lot of guys prime by removing the oil filter connecting a hose to where the filter threads on and pump oil in this way. I instantly got oil pressure on both gauges up to 30 psi. WTF does that mean but I still get no oil pressure when cranking and can not see any oil coming from the valves with the cover off.

Does getting 0 psi from one direction and 30 psi from another mean anything? Just a reminder engine was rebuilt a DOD kit installed I've already confirmed the barbell is present and the pick up tube and o ring are correct.
The following users liked this post:
richey (03-24-2023)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
I am still in need of some help especially from you guys who know how the oiling system works. So I spoke with the engine builder and he said to prime the system the same way as the video I posted. Pump oil into the galley plug at the left front of the engine. I have done at least 15 quarts this way and never get even a 1 pound of pressure from either gauge. I am using an actual tank and compressed air made for this job now.

I then seen a lot of guys prime by removing the oil filter connecting a hose to where the filter threads on and pump oil in this way. I instantly got oil pressure on both gauges up to 30 psi. WTF does that mean but I still get no oil pressure when cranking and can not see any oil coming from the valves with the cover off.

Does getting 0 psi from one direction and 30 psi from another mean anything? Just a reminder engine was rebuilt a DOD kit installed I've already confirmed the barbell is present and the pick up tube and o ring are correct.
Cam bearings not centered (aligned) perhaps? If not right, you won't get any pressure from the pump.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
Thanks for the tip on the plug glad I did not pull the engine or trans. Now I have to figure out why I have no oil pressure. Barbell present, pickup tube o ring good. What else can you guys think of open to all suggestions. Thanks.

I hate to ask this,

Do you know if the barbell has it's oring?

Oil flows like this in an ls wet sump system:

pickup, through the pump, to the filter, past the restrictor, and into the feed lines.

If the restrictor is missing the oil gets pumped out the back of the block behind the cover.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think if you can get it fired up and running for 5 seconds or more the oil pressure will come right up, i think your chasing an issue you really dont have.

Quick Reply: engine rebuild No OIL Pressure