Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Drum to Disc brake Conversion ..!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drum to Disc brake Conversion ..!!

has anyone tried doing that yet ? will the tahoe parts bolt on just fine ? or should i just order something like Baer for later on ?

opinions please
Old 06-23-2007, 05:38 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what i've read before its not worth the trouble.

Here's a forum that MIGHT interest you. I'm not biased either way myself but I remember reading this and it may have information that'll suit you.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ght=drum+brake

Originally Posted by GMJim
Yeah gimmy rear disc brakes. I miss the seized calipers and the pulsating rotor runout, not to mention the previously mentioned malfunctioning emergency brakes and the (if you pay somebody else to do the brakes) freekin expense to fix it all. Rear Disc brakes on a truck are useless. Rear brakes don't do a hell of a lot anyway and the drums do it just fine and have done so for a long time. The front discs aren't subjected to the back wash of road salt and all the other crap on the roads like the rears are. The rear discs live in a more hostile and dirty environment and drums back there are better suited by their design. Rear Discs on a Corvette or other performance cars are less trouble because the owners don't drive them in the bad weather. I used to work on heavy fire trucks in the 80's and the manufacturers switched to disc brakes because of the extra surface area they provide. They were so troublesome and expensive they switched back to drums and never looked back. IMO be careful what you wish for.......you know the rest.
BTW GM was getting huge repair numbers for warranty on these brakes.