PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/)
-   -   Driving without tune after cam install (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/driving-without-tune-after-cam-install-462696/)

Preston129 05-18-2010 11:24 AM

Driving without tune after cam install

Just looking for opinions here, and personal experiences. I'm changing cams, AFM delete, LT install and then planning on driving 5 hours to get it tuned. So I'm wondering how piss poor my truck will be to drive that long?

I know about the surging and stalling at low speeds, but how about issues at 2-3000 rpm for extended periods of time? I'm not doing anything exotic with the heads/intake, and not planning on going WOT so I'm not worried about going lean, and if the LTs throw codes for the O2 sensor it should richen up the fuel trim anyways from what I've read.

Is there anything I'm overlooking that could become a problem?

*EDIT* Forgot to include, since I'm disabling AFM mechanically, but leaving it in the computer, will it know not to cut fuel to the AFM cylinders? I understand how the AFM works by varying oil pressure in the lifters, but don't know the interaction with the fuel system.

pasadenaman 05-18-2010 11:40 AM

If it were me, I would rent a dolly where you trucks 4 wheels are secured and tow it there. Then rent a truck for the day to tow it.

Preston129 05-18-2010 11:48 AM

I thought about that, but I think before I went that route I would just get a mail-order tune instead, which I may still do. I'd prefer a live tune but I'd also prefer not driving it without a tune :confused:

pasadenaman 05-18-2010 12:01 PM

I hear ya. They shop installing my 6.0 is also tuning it and Thats 4 hours away. I wanted to get a 90MM TB, they had me get a TB that has an idle bleed screw to fine tune it. A live tune is what I would go for to fully benefit from it.

Preston129 05-18-2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by pasadenaman (Post 4463403)
I hear ya. They shop installing my 6.0 is also tuning it and Thats 4 hours away. I wanted to get a 90MM TB, they had me get a TB that has an idle bleed screw to fine tune it. A live tune is what I would go for to fully benefit from it.

Thats how I feel too, it's just getting it from A to B safely, and without issue. If a rough idle is the worst of my problems, then I'm not gonna worry about it, but if it keeps trying to cut fuel every time I let off the gas then I'll just park it till I get it tuned. But I guess if it's cutting fuel it would also be cutting spark and it wouldn't be a problem...

1LOW4X4 05-18-2010 01:00 PM

So what is the huge difference between a mail order and a live tune?

00ChevyScott 05-18-2010 01:06 PM

Who is going to tune it?

Preston129 05-18-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4 (Post 4463437)
So what is the huge difference between a mail order and a live tune?

Well I'd prefer to have someone working directly on my truck, just for my own peace of mind I would know the tuner is giving it his entire attention. Feedback is also quicker, if something doesn't work we'll know and address it sooner and I can also ask questions and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.

Preston129 05-18-2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 4463441)
Who is going to tune it?

Justin at BB. He's coming to Canada to do a group tune, which is the only reason for driving it that far. Otherwise I was just going to get a cable tune.

00ChevyScott 05-18-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Preston129 (Post 4463447)
Justin at BB. He's coming to Canada to do a group tune, which is the only reason for driving it that far. Otherwise I was just going to get a cable tune.

How soon is he coming? You might have him ship you a PCM with a base tune so it is safe to drive there.

There's nobody local that can do it? Not trying to take any business away from Blackbear, but in your situation it would definitely be ideal to have some local or at least closer than that do the tune.