Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Best "Stock Sized" Brake option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best "Stock Sized" Brake option?

I tried searching this but didn't really come up with anything, is there a generally accepted "This is the best rotor/pad combo"?

Truck is my daily driver, as you see in my sig has 500+whp but I rarely drive fast however for the odd time it would be nice to be able to stop. I think the obvious answer to best brakes is to upgrade to a larger size either the aftermarket options or the Corvette Calipers/Baer Rotors however I have 17" rims that I am keeping therefore, I'm stuck with stock size.

Why not get new rims you ask? I have fairly new Cooper AT3 tires for summer and 1 season old Winter tires for the 17" rims so I have several years left of life in those and I just can't see myself buying new summer and winter rims and tires right now, by the time I'm ready to buy new tires I'm sure I'll need new brakes so then I will look into upgrade

This is what I bought last time, as you can see the price is pretty good but I put them in Oct 2013 and they stop like poop now maybe 15000 miles later, yikes: Front KIT 2 Performance Drilled Brake Rotors AND 4 Brake Pads | eBay

Thanks,
Jay
Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Did some research and I'm thinking of going with Brembo Rotors either the regular or UV coated depending on price and then will either get the Brembo pads or EBC GreenStuff pads and call it a day.

I imagine the Brembo rotors are much better quality than the cheap Ebay ones so that should last me for a while.

Unless someone chimes in here with different suggestions, I'll post up my results and install once I get them on.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Launching!

I bought a set of PowerStop rotors from Rockauto. 55 a pop and they are slotted and drilled. I also bought Raybestos Police pads for an 07 Tahoe.

I had stock 17" rims and that combo made my truck stop very well. Those pads are a dusty set but whatever, i stop so im happy.

Now I have spongy brake pedal(needs a bleed badly. not related to pad wear) but she stops decently now. I noticed the rotors look a little burned almost. My stock rotors also looked a little burned. Not blued, but that brownish look. I have no idea why i cant seem to just get the normal silver brake rotor silver look but those pads are great non the less.

Those power stops warped a little but it was worth trying as they offered better cooling and less expensive than stock.

I bet I do need to replace my pads seeing as they are meant to stop fast moving police 'Hoes and not last long. I did my share of research on them and they placed well in some brake testing. they beat a lot of competition which, for the money, is pretty nice. Part: ATD1092P

I put those pads in exactly one year ago. I will say again, they are not meant to last. They are meant to stop larger vehicles. They dust like a **** but to me, i dont care. i like washing my truck. I also like stopping well too.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

I've got powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and Russell ss brake lines, even with cheap pads it was a good upgrade.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM
cam
TECH Addict

What makes for good brakes, is lots of metal. The heavier the rotor the more heat in can harness and the better ability to stop hard. For street use from cold I like the EBC Greenstuff pads they bite hard and will pull it down repeatedly without overheating quickly, but they dust like crazy. Rotors? Whatever the beefiest ones you can find ( look at the weight ) but Baer Eradispeed is a solid option. Hawks also makes some great pads