Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

ARH header install experience . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up...i had the same issues with the battery cable and bolt on the steering shaft...i was made i had them Jet Hot Coated and got a big scratch from the bolt...grrrr and yeah they do hang below the cross member
Old 12-23-2010, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for posting this up!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blu byu EH
Thanks for posting this up!
You're welcome!

Hope it helps some other folks out.

When I have the time, I'll try and post up the detailed install routine and a couple of pics.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pl4yboy
Congrats on the install. But after hearing all your issues, it makes me happy I went the "cheapo" route with my Pacesetters. The only issue I had was getting the Y pipe to work right... but that is because I had already modified it to work on my 08. I have zero issue with steering shaft clearance. There is a 1/2" gap between the headers and the frame at the closest spot. I don't think paying half the price and having half the issues was such a bad deal now, regardless of the 1 3/4 primary size.

any before and after testing results? hows it feel over stock?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

cant wait to see tuning results! how will it do for inspection?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
The only "testing" done prior to the headers was a few 1/4 miles passes, with a best of 14.57 @ 94 - prior to Westers tune and of course the headers.

At first I didn't feel much improvement from the headers, but every mile I drive it's getting better and better. Definitely needs a re-tune after the header install as I checked my FTs Thursday and they're going way positive.

Stomped it from a 25 MPH roll yesterday on dry concrete and all he!! broke loose, so they've def made an improvement!

Patrick G full dyno-tune with wide-band for WOT tuning coming on the 9th - can't wait!
Old 12-25-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
cant wait to see tuning results! how will it do for inspection?
Keeps setting P0420 and P0430 codes with the high-flow cats, so passing the state emissions test will require that thye catalyst monitors be "tuned out". Patrick G will take care of that in a couple of weeks!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
I tossed up buying ARH, but couldn't bring myself to spend the $1500 when LPP are $1000 less for the same performance gain. I should be getting mine tomorrow. Can't wait!
You need to let me know me when you get those on. Cause if you don't have any problems then I'll be ordering lpp
Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have these myself. I know most think spending 1300 bucks for a set of pipes is crazy, but you cant appreciate them until you see them in person. Killer craftsmanship, and they bolt up with ease. Also for the ones that want to make good power and dont think 1 7/8 helps your wrong. Might be overkill for a mild bolt on DD, but for you FI guys or guys with big cubes they are what you want. LPP headers are nice as well, but easy to grow out of like I did
Old 12-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Hard to say really. I bought the truck on Friday, didn't touch the tune, and put them on Monday and started tuning. I did notice a low end decrease which is to be expected with any headers... felt the exact same on my 08. But the top end definitely opens up.

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
I have these myself. I know most think spending 1300 bucks for a set of pipes is crazy, but you cant appreciate them until you see them in person. Killer craftsmanship, and they bolt up with ease. Also for the ones that want to make good power and dont think 1 7/8 helps your wrong. Might be overkill for a mild bolt on DD, but for you FI guys or guys with big cubes they are what you want. LPP headers are nice as well, but easy to grow out of like I did
Funny, the guy who bought the 1400$ headers had more issues than I did, and I spent $650. The workmanship may not be as good, but mine are ceramic coated and I have no issues with the craftsmanship. They have held up to 50k miles on another truck and will hopefully see another 100k out of this one. I know a guy running 11.2 on a nitrous 6.0 with stock manifolds... that 1/8 inch doesn't help as much as you think it does. Hell, DBRODS ran 10s in his ECSB 402 with 1 3/4 headers. He's pushing north of 700hp and JUST NOW swapped to 2" headers. They aren't as important as you think.

Quick Reply: ARH header install experience . . .